Spraying

GTIR1000

Im going to give spraying my car a go myself i have a list of everything i need but i was just wondering if some one in the know could give me a list of what is needed. im not going for a drastic change in colour and it is only the exterior im doing i shall be filling some little dents. Just wondering what spray gun to get what is the best paint where to get it from etc

any help would be great

cheers jamie

P

pulsarboby

if your spraying the car in a normal garage and youve not painted one before use cellulose, youll need about 3ltr.
other stuff youll need for painting listed below

primer
400 wet n dry (to flat panels before spraying)
1200 wet n dry (to flat paint after painting)
tack rags
masking tape and loads of news papers
g3 fareclay compound
rubbing block

just use a cheapish gun as you will not get a perfect finish from it but dont worry about that (dont use an hvlp gun).
youll get a mirror finish by hard work after spraying it by flatting the panels down then compounding them up, but remember......the key to a good finish lies in the prep work not just the painting.

im far from a pro painter and thats how i get round it and can get good results in the finish

P

pulsarboby

think the gun i have is a devilbes (quite an old one) providing you get the pressure right and your fan pattern you cant really go wrong.
trick is in the wrist lol.....try to keep the same distance from the work your painting and same gun angle and never release the trigger untill youve completed a panel stroke or youll get a build up of paint unless your flashing/blending in a panel, ''think of your arm as a robotic arm''.
paint mix is also important and dependant on weather aim at 50/50 but you may need to add slightly more thinners
have a look on youtube or somewhere as that may give you pointers on how to paint properly.....but always practice first on something unseen or an old panel somewhere

i personally dont use high build primer your better off using filler then a filling paste for small marks and then priming and flatting the car down to show any high / low spots.
but as said im just an amateur whos picked up old skool stuff from various painters over the years and unless you have a proper spraybooth its always gonna be a lot harder in a normal garage so you must also make sure the area is as dust free as possible which is why i suggested using cellulose as it dries very quickly.

modern water based paints really need to be done in a booth with oven as there slow drying
2pk give an excellent finish but you run the risk of cyanide poisoning unless you have proper breathing apparatus, plus your on a time limit to get the job done as you need to use hardener.

anyway theres some info for you to get your head round lol

Last edited by a moderator:

bob the builder

pretty much as bob said. its all in the prep. put the elbow grease in first then the rest is easy.
thought they had banned cellulose or you had to have a licence to use it(something like that)
personally i find 2 pak quite easy(not as easy as celly)you just have to stick to doing a couple of pannels at a time,say one side.
when painting i find it best to go for many light coats to build up a good shine and coluor rather than trying to put too much on at once.this also stops you getting any runs.
good luck hope all goes well.

bob the builder

oh the gun i use is just a cheap £25 profesinal with adjustable air feed and spray width.
not fancy but i have always managed to get a good finish.

midge

Make sure you have something on your compressor to catch water vapour, if its your first time i would do a few coats of laquer this means you can flat out any mistakes/shallow bits without going through to the base coat

red reading

yes plastaciser (sp) to make the paint more flexible, it will just crack and fall off otherwise.............unlucky tom