spitting alternater belts?

nitrosgti-r

hey all, slight problem.

I have changed from the lightweight pullies back to the stock crank pully as they kept chucking the alternater belt off for some strange reason?? i thought it might be the pullies buckeld so i put the stock back on......done it agian!!

Tried to align the pullies the best i could but there isnt anywhere you can really adjust the alignment?.....Did it again

The belt is coming off of the outer rim some how and i think its under hard accelleration? Im thinking it may have somthing to do with the split engine mount on the pully side and some how chucking the alternater out of true under accelleration? I have put one of thoes engine stablisers on that side but i dont think thats stoping the movement enough?

What do you guys think? Anyone else had the same problem?

Cheers

K9ng

I had the same problem would throw the alternator belt
when revved hard, I took out the shim behind the alternator
pulley and it fixed it.

antgtir

Are you sure the belt is the correct one? Did the car have AC before and has been removed hence a diff size belt being replaced?

Im not sure the engine movement (even with a duff engine mount) will cause the belt to come off as the alternator housing will move with the engine, not relative, sounds like you need to sort the mount though tbh.

Are all parts tight? Are things moving under hard acceleration i.e. pulley alignment? What about changing the belt, have you checked to make sure it is ok?

Ant.

nitrosgti-r

K9ng, i didnt realise the alternater pully had a shim in? Ill check that mate.....cheers

antgtir, yeah im pretty sure its the right belt, its even the thicker one of the two so it would last a bit longer lol. I think the air con has been taken off the car yes so i have the non air con model belt.

Yes i shall be sorting the engine mount out very soon, as soon as pulsar bobby comes back from holiday ill be tapping him up for one if he has one?

Iv tried with the belt very tight and with the belt a bit loose bit still throws them off. Iv got the belt so that i can just twist it thru 90 deg in the middle, is this correct? Im really not sure what is moving under hard accelleration for it to slide to the outside tooth on the alternater pully but stay on the inside teeth on the crank pully?

All i can think is that its just not running straight under load but how the F#:k can can i get it to run straight when there is not adjustment?

Animaldaz

It is the crank pulley, its just the poncy name for it. There is a rubber section set into the pulley between the ribbed pulley and the centre boss (this is the vibration damper) These often split and the outer part of the pulley can come completely off!

antgtir

Have you checked the play in the alternator shaft (in and out play)? This may be moving excessively and throwing the belt off, worth a try.

Ant.

P

pulsarboby

animaldaz is on the right lines here, bet you that the c/s pulley damper is split and throwing it out of true;-) its a very common prob with them!

also check that no ones tried hammering off the pulley before and closed the ribs up in the process (on pulley drive area) this will cause the belt to not seat correctly and chuck it off the pulley.

nitrosgti-r

ok cheers chaps, i will be taking the alternater back off 2mo after work and checking the shaft for in and out play and for measurments etc and i will also be checking for that pully damper. I have the lightweight pully still so ill have a look at putting that on agian- only problem here is the engine was balanced with that pully so if i need a new pully, just as well go with the light one?

This hope fully will be thet last time i have to do this job! lol

Keep you informed......

nitrosgti-r

SORTED for now...... i got some one to lever the alternator so it ran straight and then did the bolts up bastard tight...... and got 2 more belts in stock.

cheers for your help tho?