Speedo / Tacho knack'd

ian c

Need your help.....

a good while back, the tacho (rev counter) packed up.....checked the back of the unit, it's getting power alright.....put a scope on it and it shows a square wave...but the wave only drops back from 5v to about 4.5v.....
i'd have expected it to drop to 0.5v or less!

anyway, now my speedo has packed up....

but i don't get engine hesitation at 4K rpm (as i've been told i should with broken speedo)......not yet checked if its gettin power!

could it be a faulty earth etc? what would happen if i ran a secondary earth from the loom to the body...woul i melt someting?

I've swapped the clocks with a mate and nothing changes - need to find out if mine works in another car!

any help greatly appreciated!

Fast Guy

Moderators
Staff member
Can't realy help you, but my speedo has packed up too, I'm pretty sure it's my delimiter, but I don't get any hesitation over 4000rpm, just get bleedin limited at 7000rpm in 5th now :evil: .

ian c

5TH?

7000 in 5th...don't you mean 4th?

not sure if i'm right, but 7000 in 5th would mean 130-140mph....
is that not enough for you?

ian c

power-cut hard

well, the saga continues, still driving car with no speedo or tacho.....last night while racing allong m25 the car cut out massively at 5000+....definately not the rev limiter!

i believe this is normal if the speedo is goosed - can anyone confirm?

also, could it be linked to my tubbie timer - i read elsewhere on list it could be related!

i'll disconnect the t/t and go for a blast.
need the clocks fixing pronto, now reading speed off boost gauge and gear!

mattygti-r

racing a 200sx werent u?

:lol: :lol:

i got a pasting from a 200sx s14a on the way down to R-TEc y-day

plus my speedo is dead too

ian c

boost

yep, we were having a cheeky play..

its horrible when it cuts in....like you've blown a turbo hose off.....

gonna go rip out the speedo, chack connections, remove t/t and go for a blast.

Timur 008

I got a spare speedo for sale if anyone's interested :?:

I brought a whole new white kit from the land down under for £350 :shock:

ian c

speedo

timur,
seeing as this is for your old car and we are both going to PTS RR day, do you fancy bringing your spare one along - if it fixes the problem i'll buy it!

Timur 008

Sure, i'll bring it along. :wink:
But it is up for sale as i am really (desperately) in need of a up rated full pump -hopefully b4 the PTS, i don't want any accidents :shock:

ian c

combi unit

hey tim...well, no need now - just been and ripped off my delimiter and the speedo has started to work again..-so i need to get my delimiter checked..
..tacho has been checked with another and it must be the loom as no joy!

out of interest mate an R33 GTR std pump (230L/Hr) is a very easy swap into the GTI-R....you can pick them up for about £50-60 on gtr.co.uk, or try lex as he had one for a while! I can write a 'how to' if you get one!

Timur 008

Cool!! i hope it gets sorted.. i miss that car (its was my first baby :wink: )

as for the pump - SSSHIIIIIIIII+.... i wish i asked you 1st! - coz i just ordered a Walbro pump costing me about a 1na :(

doesn't matter... :roll:

hope to see ya soon