Sparky ppl in here - wiper problem

S

Stoned

Right i'm on a mission to solve a couple of niggly electrical problems on my R

My worst problem is the rear wiper. Basically it wipes and fits and starts across the glass. Sometimes does a whole wipe, other times half or a quarter etc
At no time does it go back and forth in one movement and then stop.

Today I tried changing the relay and the wiper stalk. Neither made any difference which has me stumped.

I dont think it can be the motor because if you hold down the rear wash it goes from side to side freely until you let go.

So what else other than a relay controls the rear wiper movement?

Cheers

Fire & skill

Vintage member
the motor could be tired mate, next time it stops half way through a sweep, give it a little helping hand by moving it in the direction it should be going, if it moves then its the motor

A

AJ4

I can pop over during the week sometime and you can try mine ? It only takes a few second to unbolt it.

S

Stoned

That would be awesome, where abouts do you live mate?

I'm going to Newquay until tuesday, but ill be back from then if you have spare time.

cojack

when it does stop give the the motor a bit of a whack to see if it starts moving again. to me it does sound like the motor goosed :D

A

Ash10

Stoned said:
I dont think it can be the motor because if you hold down the rear wash it goes from side to side freely until you let go.
When you let go, does it complete its wipe (and park correctly) or just stop dead? If it stops dead, I'd suspect the parking switch inside the motor.

Does it make any difference having the wiper set to continuous or intermittant?

A

AJ4

I'm only in Pompy bud, let me know when your free then and I'll pop over.

Ross.

S

Stoned

Right in case anyone else gets this, it was the wiper motor. Got a second hand one and all is well :D