Sparkplugs

gtirneil

Just taken my sparkplugs out as im having a few problems, knocking/ rattling etc, they appear to be rust coloured now (just the tips), why would this be ? over the weekend i used some proper octane booster with optimax to bring the ron upto 101, the car pulls and boosts fine, water is good, no loss, normal colour, oil level and colour is good, tho i did see the temp go up to 110 when on my private road at 150. Would the octane booster cause these to go a rusty colour?

Cheers

antgtir

If you have a Haynes manual they normally give a very good guide as to what colours are associated with particular symptoms etc, may be a good start.

What plugs are in the R at the mo? When did you put them in? It may be a result of high temps due to the increase in RON.

Ant.

gtirneil

Ant they are HKS s45i, ive had them ina year now, im hoping its to do with how hot it was as it was a really hot day and i was driving like an idiot. My car is overfueling aswell because the coolant temp sensor has gone would that do anyhting?

gtirneil

according to the sparkplug site, they are in good condition.

Well ill forget about the plugs and try find out where the knocking/tapping/ is coming from, ive just whipped the rocker cover off is there anyhting i should be looking for?

gtirneil

Nah it was some stuff called C5, upped it by 30 pioints, but aslong as they are ok then im happy, just got to find where this noise is coming from now :(

antgtir

What kind of knocking is it? I.e. its not the usual tappet sound you get with the R?

If its towards the block the sound is coming from the crank may be on its way out:?

When does this sound occur etc, symptoms?

Ant.

gtirneil

If anyhting it sounds like the top end, it happens all the time whilst driving its not a heavy clunk, does sound like the tappetts but only happend after oil temp went very high, oil pressure and temp are spot on now tho, i hope it isnt crank related. It sounds alot like its running on 3 cylinders but the power is still there

Mark N

I know this might sound strange, but i started getting a knocking noise and rattle. So I took the rocker cover off and couldn't find anything. It ended up to be the power steering pump! Just worth checking.

gtirneil

Haha your a legend i forgot me power steering pump is fookerd, was rattling last making a grinding noise last year so i just left it, i hope thats what it is

antgtir

gtirneil said:
Haha your a legend i forgot me power steering pump is fookerd, was rattling last making a grinding noise last year so i just left it, i hope thats what it is
Lol, sort it fella:roll: :p :lol:

Ant.

gtirneil

Ill try banging it with a hammer again :thumbsup:

On a serious note can i bowow someone from the NW with very small hands to change it for me :doh:

Mark N

There is a bearing in the pump you can get to. Take the pulley off, then there is a circlip holding the bearing in. You can buy the bearing. :)

Mark N

I'm 99% certain it will work if you swap it. Mine never really started making the noise till i give it some, then when it got hot it wouldn't stop till it cooled down. When it first started I pulled out everything to try to find where it was coming from, even changed the water pump.