spark plugs

johngtir

hi iam new to the site ave just got my gitr around a month now and was wanting to know the best plugs to suit my engine.
car has alot of work done will try list the spec
fully forged engine
cams dont know make
gt28r turbo
fmic
700cc denso injectors
straight cut dog box
greedy mangement
upgraded fuel pump
boost controler
just some of the engine and electrics

the car seems to be missing when up put on high boost 1.4 bar do you think it is plugs it only when ya give it some
thanks

Braveheart

Hi John and welcome!!!
Car looks interesting..... nice spec thus far... where did you buy it.. anybody off here?
I do not know the exact plugs you should run but there is a chance that's your problem at 1.4bar.
Sure somebody will be along shortly to advice!

PobodY

Moderators
Staff member
I'm sure someone will mention bcr8es.
That's what I was going to say. - Try 0.7mm for a gap; you can run a bigger gap with less boost, but you need to think of the gap as multiplying as the compression (including boost) increases.
I wouldn't go below that as I know the spark isn't strong enough on mine at 0.5mm and 1 bar of boost.

johngtir

Hi John and welcome!!!
Car looks interesting..... nice spec thus far... where did you buy it.. anybody off here?
I do not know the exact plugs you should run but there is a chance that's your problem at 1.4bar.
Sure somebody will be along shortly to advice!
hi mate i got the car off a friend he got if from scotland it came with a gtiroc sticker on it thats how i got two now bout the form.

johngtir

That's what I was going to say. - Try 0.7mm for a gap; you can run a bigger gap with less boost, but you need to think of the gap as multiplying as the compression (including boost) increases.
I wouldn't go below that as I know the spark isn't strong enough on mine at 0.5mm and 1 bar of boost.
thanks very much mate will try new plug and set the gap to 0.7 and see how i get on hope it will sort it out. thank for the info iam il prob ask alot of simple ?s

Fast Guy

Moderators
Staff member
That's a weird part number for ngk? The usual iridiums are bkr8eix.

Anyway, heat range 6 is a hotter than normal plug assuming those NGKs use their normal heat range numbering, that may be why you're missing. Also the 11 means a gap of 1.1mm, so I hope they were regapped. Bin those plugs and fit the plugs recommended above.

johngtir

That's a weird part number for ngk? The usual iridiums are bkr8eix.

Anyway, heat range 6 is a hotter than normal plug assuming those NGKs use their normal heat range numbering, that may be why you're missing. Also the 11 means a gap of 1.1mm, so I hope they were regapped. Bin those plugs and fit the plugs recommended above.
had a we look into BCR8ES are these a rs turbo plug read that they are only good 4 1 bar of boost

PobodY

Moderators
Staff member
had a we look into BCR8ES are these a rs turbo plug read that they are only good 4 1 bar of boost
Well, we're telling you that they are fine for a GTi-R, and there are members who run them with 1.8bar of boost. :thumbsup:

scoobkiller

sorry to hijack this thread, but can you give me the iridium or platinum versions..
just i have the hks on's in and would like to put in the same or better versions..
cheers chris

warringtonjack

As mentioned above, I also use the BCR8ES in mine. There is a school of thought (or was) that iridium / platinum plugs are more prone to damage and potential disintegration, so I decided to go with the more robust (and damn sight cheaper) option.

red reading

As mentioned above, I also use the BCR8ES in mine. There is a school of thought (or was) that iridium / platinum plugs are more prone to damage and potential disintegration, so I decided to go with the more robust (and damn sight cheaper) option.

The iridium plug's fail if they are over stressed and drop in your engine and do cause damage,copper's just melt the elctrode's away when they fail, And then there's the price and the copper's will win on that every time. and because they are cheap it mean's you can check and change them often and keep an eye on how your engine is running.

No brainer really:thumbsup: