spark plugs

nismo-400R

hi guys,im gonna be getting the car mapped soon for low 1,2bar and high 1.5bar,what heat range plugs i should be using?
thanks in advance

antgtir

If your going to start uping the boost you may want to close the gap to the 0.7mm first and see how it goes, should be fine with that. Its only the big power girls that want a smaller gash i mean gap :lol:

Ant.

antgtir

stumo said:
make sure your ign system is in very good condition and run as large a gap as you can.
Yes good point, better to ensure all parts are working at peak performance and have as big a gap as poss without the spark being blown out of course, or it could lead to a melt down of the plug, generally 0.7 is about right.

Might be worth running it for a few miles then taking them out and giving them an inspection, dependant on condition close or open gap to suit.

Ant.

antgtir

Large gap will cause missfire.

Large gap with high boost will cause missfire due to spark being blown out.

Small gap will increase temps and prob melt end of spark plug.

Theres a range dependent upon application and strength of signal, the stronger the signal the greater the distance it can jump, the weaker the shorter.

Therefore, ensure all parts are 100% or better lol, gap plugs at 0.7mm to start with and run for a few miles, remove and check to see colour.

If plugs are wet or badly carboned up, either too much fuel or spark is being blown out, in which case try re gapping to a smaller gap until you find optimum range.

Never close gap fully lol:lol: had to be said.

Ant.:lol:

stumo

antgtir said:
Large gap will cause missfire.

Large gap with high boost will cause missfire due to spark being blown out.

Small gap will increase temps and prob melt end of spark plug.

Theres a range dependent upon application and strength of signal, the stronger the signal the greater the distance it can jump, the weaker the shorter.

Therefore, ensure all parts are 100% or better lol, gap plugs at 0.7mm to start with and run for a few miles, remove and check to see colour.

If plugs are wet or badly carboned up, either too much fuel or spark is being blown out, in which case try re gapping to a smaller gap until you find optimum range.

Never close gap fully lol:lol: had to be said.

Ant.:lol:
do you always post shite or just tonight?

Fusion Ed

Heat range 8, 0.7mm good choice. 1.5 bar will be fine. e-manage systems seem to loose a bit of spark strength, but I have run over 2 bar on several pulsars now on stock ignition/stock ecu with a 0.7mm gap. rest of the system has to be well maintained however.

antgtir

campbellju said:
Wrong way round Ant. Big gaps need more energy.
Isn't that what i put in this comment?

"Theres a range dependent upon application and strength of signal, the stronger the signal the greater the distance it can jump, the weaker the shorter."

As far as i was aware the closer the gap the more heat build up, i.e. more energy is transfered through the spark to the end of the spark plug because less energy has been used to jump a bigger gap.

The bigger the gap the more energy is lost via kinetic means. The smaller the gap the more energy is transferred and i thought that would be in the form of heat? The amount of energy passed down the core of the spark plug doesn't change (much) just the amount earthing does dependent upon gap?

Stu, i always talk bollocks, im just able to mask it normally, thanks MATE:lol: :p ;-)

Ant.