SPARK PLUGS

A

Anonymous

always a rip off if you ask me and the likes of HKS all use the Nippon Denso plugs anyway!!

I just got a set of 4 Denso Irridium plugs from CAF in Reading for the grand sum of 18 squids!

ordered in the next day and they are heat range 8 so ideal for up to 1.4 bar boost! I can get the part code if you need it as still have one box in the car.

has made a diff to the old girl and picks up better.

they can alos get any oils u want for the R!!
I won't quote how much a local tuner wanted for the same plugs!!

any thoughts?

J

J-GTi-R

Yeah J-Stock in Reading get the Denso plugs for a similar price, a damn site better than paying £60 for a 'branded' plug set.

If you could post up the part no, that would be great as I should get some colder plugs for when the car is set up for the extra boost I can run.

turblio

Must admit have been thinking about changing from the pfrb7 to a colder plug as high boost is erm quite high, still undecided though :?
Frank

A

Anonymous

ok guys n gals will get the box out of the R tom and post em up.

the heat rating is 8 and recommended to anyone who is running more than std boost as I think the std plugs are a seven rating.

Nick

Fast Guy

Moderators
Staff member
What's the code on the Denso plugs? I might try my local motor factors to see if they stock them.

Websnowbo

There is a place in Harrogate that sell Denso. Is it Charlie browns or summat? Can't remember it's near the VW garage mate. I bought some from there and a set of brake pads when one broke up about 2 yrs ogo when i had me Grey one.

A

Anonymous

ok dudes sorry for late reply

the code that I have here for the denso plugs is:

PK22PR8.

You should be able to get them from any good motor factors.

nick

X

xtra_GTi-R

Re: ok dudes sorry for late reply

Berkshire Godzilla said:
the code that I have here for the denso plugs is:

PK22PR8.

You should be able to get them from any good motor factors.

nick
This is Denso spark plug of heat range 22, it is the same as NGK heat range 7. NGK heat range 8 equals Denso 24.

A

Anonymous

oops! oh well they are in there now. are you sure about this?
I thought the PR8 referred to the heat range?

will get the 24 next time as will change them quite regularly

X

xtra_GTi-R

Berkshire Godzilla said:
oops! oh well they are in there now. are you sure about this?
I thought the PR8 referred to the heat range?

will get the 24 next time as will change them quite regularly
Yes, I'm 100% sure.

I'd suggest you tried IK24 and not PK, IK24 is Denso Iridium spark plug and it lasts MUCH longer than any other plug.

J

J-GTi-R

I take it the PK plugs are platinum then, not iridium as originally thought.

Fast Guy

Moderators
Staff member
Websnowbo said:
There is a place in Harrogate that sell Denso. Is it Charlie browns or summat? Can't remember it's near the VW garage mate. I bought some from there and a set of brake pads when one broke up about 2 yrs ogo when i had me Grey one.
Did you used to live in Harrogate? Yes it's Charlie Browns

Is that a light (almost primer) grey K reg?

IK24 one then? I'm not running 1bar yet, but only need a fuel pump so I can turn it up and burn my clutch out. :wink:

C

caz

So whats the IK22 then :?:

I need plugs soon, I'm running 0.9 bar, so will IK24, be enough info when asking

A

Anonymous

ok thanks xtra and I will get those next time. will prob change every 6 months or might even change with the next oil change.

I will go for the IK24 next time then.

the ones in there should be ok for a while at least.

Nad

If they feel that they are working then why change, try em out for the time being I spose.

Nad

X

xtra_GTi-R

Berkshire Godzilla said:
ok thanks xtra and I will get those next time. will prob change every 6 months or might even change with the next oil change.

I will go for the IK24 next time then.

the ones in there should be ok for a while at least.
Well, about platinum plugs: they are not recommended for tuned turbocharged engines as center electrode breaks under high boost conditions sometimes. And platinum plugs MUST NOT be used if NOS is installed.

As for other guys:
Use IK22 if standard engine/boost, IK24 if boost is up to 1.5bar, IK27 if engine is modified and boost is over 1.5bar and IK31 if engine is highly modified, NOS installed or in really high (for example 2bar) boost applications. You should use even colder plugs if you use methanol or similar type fuels.

Fast Guy

Moderators
Staff member
xtra_GTi-R said:
Well, about platinum plugs: they are not recommended for tuned turbocharged engines as center electrode breaks under high boost conditions sometimes.
As I found out on my last car. :? Useless plugs. :(

A

Anonymous

Cheers Xtra as that is a big help.
I will go for IK24 next time round and I guess they will be a bit more expensive but well worth it.

I will keep the plats in for the meantime n change them with the next oil change I think which is only 3000 miles.

thanks again.
Nick

X

xtra_GTi-R

Berkshire Godzilla said:
Cheers Xtra as that is a big help.
I will go for IK24 next time round and I guess they will be a bit more expensive but well worth it.

I will keep the plats in for the meantime n change them with the next oil change I think which is only 3000 miles.

thanks again.

Nick
IK24 should be ~60 quid per set I think...