Currently my R has

Whiteline kit
Mongoose Exhaust
Air Filter
Boost Gauge
Bleed Valve
Walbro Fuel Pump
298 bhp at 1 BAR

I am pondering over whether to increase power and am thinking of the following upgrades

Apexi AVCR
Apexi Power FC
Helix or RPS Clutch
Uprated Brakes
Front Mount Intercooler
Water Injection

Would this be adequate? What sort of boost could I run on this without having to upgrade internals and gearbox? and what would the likely bhp be?

Would it be worthwile getting a lightened flywheel, FPR and uprated turbo?

I am still thinking whether it is worth my while doing these upgrades but I wanted your opnions on these upgrade choices and if you guys would do anything different.

Is there anything I have missed out and if you were in my situation what upgrades would you choose?

Thanks, look forward to hearing your replies. Much appreciated.

hmmm

'If it ain't broke, don't fix it'

You got me thinking Chris. Definatley need uprated brakes though. :wink:

I'd leave it alone m8, that car is so mint
...I'm fortunate to have it.

hmmm

Right, I thought about this and I have decided that I want to get the car set up at 1 BAR properly as I am not too keen on the bleed valve.

I have decided on the follwing

Unichip
Apexi AVCR
May be an Uprated Turbo
Definately Clutch and Brakes.

So it's basically keeping the car at the same boost level, but done properly. Will be getting a FMIC if I suffer from heatsoak.

Any opinions?

Thanks.

S

samellio

i'd save your money and keep it as it is.. you will almost definately see no improvement getting a fmic if anything it will be more laggy- that's a fact :wink: my current r made 356bhp apparently with the tmic :shock:
A boost controller might hold boost better than your bleed valve but is it worth it for the money??- the only way you'll really feel any more power is if you up the boost..

I'd just get a clutch if yours is slipping -go for an organic helix or something thats not too hard on the g'box. Also (big)brakes... an oil cooler and nothing more 8)
Hope this helps :wink:
Sam

kyepan

yer i agree, save for the eventual clutch failure, then get exgtir to do it.

also get some big brakes, it will change the way you drive the car.. more confidence..

once you got the brakes on it, get some advanced driving lessons, or handling skills courses under your belt and start enjoying the car on the track.

A

AVOGTIR

samellio said:
i'd save your money and keep it as it is.. you will almost definately see no improvement getting a fmic if anything it will be more laggy- that's a fact
This is going to open a can of worms...

I put a front mount on a year ago, i noticed two things straight away

1 the turbo spooled aproximately 1000rpm earlier, i was on 1 bar at approximately 3-3250rpm, hence lag was decreased attacked like a v8, instant torque and power, no waiting for shit to happen like my current setup approx 400hp going for 450-500hp when i find some more cash.

2 there was no point revving over 6500rpm the the turbo didn't have the balls. That was with a bleed valve, ebc would have been better.

i also saw a increase in torque, not hp thou.

a good front mount kit, is well worth it, its a myth about a pipes being to long ect, just go logically with it all and it will be sweet.

A

AVOGTIR

samellio said:
i'd save your money and keep it as it is.. you will almost definately see no improvement getting a fmic if anything it will be more laggy- that's a fact
This is going to open a can of worms...

I put a front mount on a year ago, i noticed two things straight away

1 the turbo spooled aproximately 1000rpm earlier, i was on 1 bar at approximately 3-3250rpm, hence lag was decreased attacked like a v8, instant torque and power, no waiting for shit to happen like my current setup approx 400hp going for 450-500hp when i find some more cash.

2 there was no point revving over 6500rpm the the turbo didn't have the balls. That was with a bleed valve, ebc would have been better.

i also saw a increase in torque, not hp thou.

a good front mount kit, is well worth it, its a myth about a pipes being to long ect, just go logically with it all and it will be sweet.

S

samellio

I bought a forge fmic for my first r and found it no quicker at same boost(1bar)... i felt it was a complete waste of money :roll: .. if anything i was sure it took some of the edge off ..
Pointless putting a huge intercooler on a car unless your running lots of boost imho... almost like putting lots of bodykit onto a slow car :lol: :lol:

hmmm

I searched through some past posts and found that getting a Unichip would improve throttle response and economy due to a remap. I also read that it would provide better torque at the same boost levels over a Bleed Valve. What do you think?

I'll definately be getting an Uprated Clutch and Brakes but the Clutch hasn't slipped once yet.

S

samellio

put it this way:
Take a totally standard r running 1 bar and race it against an r with a unichip plus lot's of other bits you could waist your money on...
which r would win?? there would be fook all difference 8)

It may make it a bit more efficient and give you a few increases but if your just running 1 bar i can't see the point :wink:

Fast Guy

Moderators
Staff member
samellio said:
I bought a forge fmic for my first r and found it no quicker at same boost(1bar)... i felt it was a complete waste of money :roll: .. if anything i was sure it took some of the edge off ..
Did you do something wrong? I put my Forge on and I'm running standard boost (well, 0.8 :oops: ) and I got 4bhp :lol: I made plenty more torque tho :D and have noticed no extra lag with it.
I didn't expect it to do anything at this level and only got it cos it was in a group buy, so cheapish. At 1bar tho it should have made a difference to your car as the top mount will be designed to work bebst at standard boost.