snapped power steering belt

tony1981

hi, more problems. my power steering belt has snapped and needs replacing. can anyone please let me know the easiest way of changing it and is it worth changing the alternator belt while i'm doing it? cheers

fubar andy

Moderator & N/W Rep
Staff member
hi, more problems. my power steering belt has snapped and needs replacing. can anyone please let me know the easiest way of changing it and is it worth changing the alternator belt while i'm doing it? cheers
It’s a piece of piss to change. You'll need to take your alternator belt off anyway to fit the p/s belt; so it’s worth changing both.

You can pick up both belts from Halfords cheap and all you need to do is slacken off the alternator and p/s belt tensioners (they are long threaded bars, one by the alt and the other near the back of the engine next to the pulley)

A bit of force to bring them off and then fit new belts in the reverse order!

tony1981

cheers andy, is it worth getting them from halfords then i've found them online £13 quid for both. will i be able to do it at home or do i need a ramp?

fubar andy

Moderator & N/W Rep
Staff member
cheers andy, is it worth getting them from halfords then i've found them online £13 quid for both. will i be able to do it at home or do i need a ramp?
See which one is cheapest!

Do it at home, if you have a jack it will make life easier!

GTiR-Aholic

It’s a piece of piss to change. You'll need to take your alternator belt off anyway to fit the p/s belt; so it’s worth changing both.

You can pick up both belts from Halfords cheap and all you need to do is slacken off the alternator and p/s belt tensioners (they are long threaded bars, one by the alt and the other near the back of the engine next to the pulley)

A bit of force to bring them off and then fit new belts in the reverse order!

Yup.. done mine last week. didn't need no ramp, just jacked up and took drivers wheel off.

yer easy to do, just make sure you get the right size belt. I got the one it said in the book (at partco) and it was too loose, so had to get a few other sizes till one finally fit. Mine didnt go straight on easily, i had to adjust the alternator to maximum extent, then prise the belt on. I thought it was the wrong belt at first but once prised on it was fine.

gtir_pimp

take the belt off first so you can measure it or take it to the place you are buying new belts from. if your not confident doing it yourself a local garage wont charge much at all

gtirjoey

take the belt off first so you can measure it or take it to the place you are buying new belts from. if your not confident doing it yourself a local garage wont charge much at all
totally agree if your not sure what your doing no matter how small the job is, pay a proffesionel for the little it will cost.