smoking

P

papdog

My R has developed a nasty habit of letting off a puff of smoke when changing gear and on over run after using the turbo. It was also smoking lightly after a longer run which it has done only for the first time today. My instinct says turbo especially as there is some oil which has come out of the dump valve, but I was just wondering if anyone had any other suggestions as to what else they think it could be. The turbo is not that old and has not done lots of miles, but the car has stood for the first 3 months of the year without use.

Any suggestions?????

Graham

O

Olly

Do compression test then, visually look at plugs for colour and specific cylinder oil burning signs, if all ok then would suspect trubo oil seal gone on exhaust side just slowly dumping oil down the downpipe. :(

P

papdog

Just to let you know I had the engine compression tested on Wednesday and piston no. 1 has hardly any compression and no. 2 is well down on what it should be so it's new engine time!!

Graham

A

Anonymous

papdog said:
Just to let you know I had the engine compression tested on Wednesday and piston no. 1 has hardly any compression and no. 2 is well down on what it should be so it's new engine time!!
not necessarily :D could just be valve trouble if you`re really lucky :wink: