Smoking like a fcukwit!

CanadianR

on the way home from University this morning, my car started smoking. Worse than a 2 stroke snowmobile or lawnmower engine. I looked under the hood and saw that the coolant was fine, and after a 5-10 minute drive home (limping it, not on boost, and no noticeable power loss off boost [fingers crossed]) there was no mayo in the oil.

When I checked the dipstick on the side of the road and on the driveway, each time I pulled it out, a bit of pressure was released. Aside from that, I can't see anywhere where it would be leaking.

Where do I start for troubleshooting this? I am planning to do a compression test when I get home from work in 6 hours. However, the temperature outside right now is -25C. Does this have any effect on the compression readings? Do I do the test on a warm or cold engine?

If compression comes back good, where do I look next? Turbo oil seals? are there any tell tale signs of oil leaks? I looked under the car and on the driveway from last night, and aside from the already leaking front crank oil seal (which is waiting to go on) there are no noticeable leaks aside from right around the stock oil seperator/rocker cover. I haven't had a chance to take anything off the car yet.

Any ideas or opinions are GREATLY appreciated. As this car is the daily driver, I can't have it up on jackstands for any length of time greater than a few days to a week.

TIA!

Godzilla

is it definatly smoke mate as mine puffs some nice condensation out in the morning first thing from the exhaust being cold and emmissions being so warm , if nothing else has been noticed then it could jsut be something like that,

neil240z

sadly the likely explantion is the usual piston ring lands cracking which is a comment fault when running over stock boost on stock pistons, and this would also explain the crank case pressure.

regards

Neil

CanadianR

Neil240z,
I am still running the stock engine.

About all I can think of that could change this is that I played around with the vacuum nipples on the quad throttlebodies and installed a different vacuum line that connected all 4 together then plumbed into the vacuum line for the hks ssqv. as It was per turbosmart's instructions, I don't see any reason why that mod could lead to this, but I am not sure.

CanadianR

what would the PCV setup have with whats going on? If the pcv valve was stuffed then are these the symptoms to expect?