smoke when changing gear

J

Jamie_GTIR

Ive noticed today then when on full boost i am getting a lot of white smoke coming out of the exhaust when changing gear.
when looking under the engine bay i also noticed that there is traces of oil from under the intercooler rubber piping
help me!
cheers
Jamie

J

Jamie_GTIR

to be honest i havent noticed any difference in sound or performance..

J

Jamie_GTIR

went out with mates to see if they could see the colour, it only did it a couple of times, mostly it wasnt smoking, and it seemed white/grey

N

N1SMO

black smoke is unburned fuel
white smoke is oil burning

but dont worry there are lots of reasons for burning oil that are not to hard to fix.

do you have an oil catch tank or is the breather from the rocker cover going back in with the charged air.

check for oil in the intercooler pipework.

J

Jamie_GTIR

as i said there is oil slightly seeping out of the intercooler pipework

N

N1SMO

sounds like the breather is putting some oil through, not the most scarry thing that can happen, unless the pisston rings have gone and presurising the botom end oil up the breather.
could also be turbo seals which is a bit more expensive.

G

GazTi-R

I aways thought burnt oil came out blueish and white/grey smoke was water? :?

Fast Guy

Moderators
Staff member
I'd say water smoke was more of a whiter white :wink:

Clean your breather system out as it sounds like your just putting oil into the intake and burning it off. Have you filled up recently? Or got worn piston rings?

J

Jamie_GTIR

filled up with oil u mean? well it had an oil change last month

dont know about rings, im assuming a compression check wouuld be wise!

spoke to kiki from option motorsport tonite he says he thinks it could be turbo oil seals.