Smoke, lots of!

S

Stoned

A strange thing happened earlier. I was sitting outside my local tip waiting for a lorry to take one of the large bins. Then after about 10 minutes the gates opened and I could drive in

As soon as I did thick smoke started to pour out of the exhaust and I thought SH IT it's had it. So I turned it off and unloaded my stuff anyhow, came back and started it up, still smoking but not as bad

Drove it down the road and it cleared. So I parked up on the local industrial estate and quickly checked fluid levels. All were fine and nothing sounded amiss. Power was like normal.

Anyhow I drove it off and I've not seen the smoke since. But wtf could have caused that?
My heart really skipped a beat when I saw the smoke pouring out of the back!!

J

jiw

sounds like smoke on over run coming from the turbo oil seals, jeff

Fast Guy

Moderators
Staff member
It could be the first signs your turbo is on it's way out. One of mine on an old car started smoking badly if I sat there idling for about 5mins or so, but it would clear and then come back later if I was still there. (embarrassing in queues :oops: )

S

Stoned

Ah well if thats it then looks like time to consider hitting the CC for a GT28R :)

It's the original turbo and the car is at 80,000 miles now according to the clock. It did have a rebuild at Abbey at 72,000 but they pronounced the turbo fine and not in need of replacement.

J

jiw

it will only get worse over time, mine did, take off the air intake pipe and check for excessive shaft play, i replaced mine with the gt28R and its a good spooler but it aint a bolt on fit although atp will say it is, jeff

S

Stoned

jiw said:
it will only get worse over time, mine did, take off the air intake pipe and check for excessive shaft play, i replaced mine with the gt28R and its a good spooler but it aint a bolt on fit although atp will say it is, jeff
What needs doing to make it fit then mate?

If I know in advance I can get the parts I need and should be able to get it swapped over in a day. Oooh $799 for a T28R for ATP, whats that, about £450?

Cheap as chips!

Does the GT28R produce more power at the same boost than the original T28?

Fast Guy

Moderators
Staff member
I have the compressor map for the GT28RS and it'll run 2bar and produce around 350bhp according to that, although Edds Gtir produceD 431bhp with that turbo at 1.3bar.

spelling mistake corrected :oops:

J

jiw

Well you need to do the following:

Spin and align the housings

Elongate the holes in the oil return pipe flange

Elongate one maybe two of the holes in the turbo elbow

If you are using the TMIC you will need to cut and rotate the compressor outlet pipe by about 10 degrees and have it rewelded. (if running a FMIC you may get away without doing this)

Modify the existing actuator bracket(they sell one i know but im not sure it will work on the gt28R)

Before fitting the turbo you will have to fit the compressor intake pipe without using a washer on the bolt closest to the block and grind the head of the bolt down.

Thats about it i think, it came to no more than £450 max and its a good responsive turbo, i would got for the gt28rs if you have the extra £200, i only got the gt28r as they said it would bolt straight on :cry: Rishi had a look at the compressor map for me and said it would produce 301bhp at 1 bar of boost and 315bhp at 1.2, id stick with 1 bar if thats the case, jeff.