Smoke from exhaust

yellow gtir

hi all

just got my turbo reconditioned and drove it slowly to let the oil burn off from the exhaust but now the oil has all burned out but the car still tends to smoke soon as boost kicks in even at 3k rev, and the oil level is getting low ive toped it up and just keeps getting low to the point where its almost dry and the car smees to use a lot of water and when the car is being driven it smokes blue and white.

could it be the turbo again or could it be something else???

thanks all help wil be appreciated

PobodY

Moderators
Staff member
What oil are you using; maybe it's too thin? - The fact it's using water too would have me worried about the head gasket too.

yellow gtir

I'm using 10w 40 Sami senthic oil and the only be about qoter of a liter low it dosent be fully low and just a quick queston what sort of temp does the water reach when engine is fully warm?

John

I'm using 10w 40 Sami senthic oil and the only be about qoter of a liter low it dosent be fully low and just a quick queston what sort of temp does the water reach when engine is fully warm?
10w 60 is the standard in a GTi-R if I remember correctly and it doesnt like cheapo oil either. I'd try the right oil to start off with and see if it helps solve your issues, but it does sound like your HG.

pulsarmoley

10w 60 is the standard in a GTi-R if I remember correctly and it doesnt like cheapo oil either. I'd try the right oil to start off with and see if it helps solve your issues, but it does sound like your HG.
I use cheapo semi-synthetic 10w40 with no probs after 40k covered with it. Thinking about shifting to 10w50 now im upping the power.

gtir_pimp

i also use 10w 40 castrol oil with no probs so changing that wont solve anything. do a compression test or sniffer test to check the head gasket.

fubar andy

Moderator & N/W Rep
Staff member
I use cheapo semi-synthetic 10w40 with no probs after 40k covered with it.

Well it won't be long till you'll be selling it on with a knackered engine or forking out for a rebuild. :thumb: :roll:

10w50 is what I class as the norm for our cars, since they are performance engines, 50 would offer more protection when you hammer it.

60 offers more protection at race or higher performance range. Nothing wrong with both, but for road use I'd say that 50 would be better and 60 more for track work or motorsport :thumb: