smells of petrol ???

HI all

this is really bugging me as it only does it every now and then not all the time .. i have checked the obvious and all seems gd what could it possibly be??

wrc

Leaking tank? Excess pressure in the tank venting? Carbon canister leaking? Weeping fuel line/rail/injector?

Its just a process of elimination really - is it stronger towards the front of the car or rear?

Gtirchris

Hey buddy, I had a smell of fuel from my R, took me a while to find it, it turned out to be one of the small breather pipes on top of the tank had split due to age, which i only found when I removed the tank, it only seemed to be noticeable in warm weather though, hope this helps mate.

grim_d

Also check your injector o-rings, may not be visibly damaged but fuel will piss out if they are not sealing correctly all the time.

Fast Guy

Moderators
Staff member
Smell of petrol where? In the car? out of the car? front of the car? rear of the car? at the petrol station?

The plastic fuel tank cap on my car was breathing abit through the fuel pump terminals and letting some vapour out, so that's another one to check.
Also the fuel hoses down the side of tank tend to leak as well.

hi fast guy it smells mainly in the car driver seat when driving and another thing is i dont have the carbon canister some one has just put a screw in there and my tank seams to be preseurizing wat can i do about that?

thanks

sam

wrc

Take the screw out! It needs to vent.

The tank shouldn't be pressurising like that.

danr

exhaust leak? could be coming up through the gear stick, rubber gaiter is all that separates you from the road.

geoff pine

If you can smell it from the drivers seat it could be coming from the tank at the back i had this problem and was told to ignore it as it was just the carbon canister. leave the engine running and open the hatch and lift the carpets and have a good sniff round . Then look under the car to see if you have a drip i did this and it was one of the three pipes that come of the top of the tank .if its not that then do the same in the engine bay with the engine running .

right i do have a leak on my exhaust after looking underneith were the decat meets the downpipe so will look at that

thanks

sam