slipping belt

J

japedup

when i started my r up today when it was cold i could hear this noise, it sounded like a fan bet slipping, but when i flipped the bonnet it sounded like it was coming from the timing belts?. any1 no whats up. if so is it a big job :x

S

seanleed

Most probably the alternator drive belt, we don't have timing belts as the cams are chain driven. To tighten the alternator belt you need to loosen the pivot bolt, one end is held captive by the alternator and the nut is behind the exhaust manifold and almost impossible to get to :cry: then just get a 12mm socket, tighten up the long bolt sticking out of the bracket and re-tighten the pivot bolt. Could also be the power steering pump belt, but I've no idea how to get to that one. Probably more awkward as it's behind the alternator one.

tension bolt is in the middle of the pic, pivot bolt is the one hanging out just up and to the left of it (the nut fell off and it rattled on the bodywork driving me mad till I found it)

Fast Guy

Moderators
Staff member
The power steering bolt is the bottom one,(roughly under the oil filter against the block, a 14mm long reach socket is ideal), just undo it slightly and adjust the tensioner. Easy peasy.

J

japedup

nice 1 chaps. :? hopefully i can sort that without getting it up on a ramp. not the best with cars as you probably no by now. its so buzzing how most peeps on here are happy to help out cheers lads