Slight smoking towards full boost

Spiderman

When i get the turbo up towards full boost i get some blue smoke out of the exhaust. At lower boost there is none. Is this the early indication the turbo is on its way out and needs replacing? :?

Neatrags

Although I'm a novice on here I had a similar problem on one of my first GTIR and it turned out to be the turbo letting go but that dosent mean to say it's 100% the turbo but it does point in that direction

Spiderman

The problem occurs whilst driving at boost. If i drive with full boost for about 5 secs then back off i get smoke for about 2-3 secs whilst driving off boost. Im taking the intercooler pipes off tomorrow to check the turbine for play.

geoff pine

Had the same problem blue smoke when lifting off changed the turbo problem solved . Checking the bearing play is not going to really help you as i showed Jim my turbo at oulton park and we agreed the wears seams minimal ! since changing it the smoking has stopped .

red reading

just drive it till it get's really bad.................. just a thought is the oil you have in your engine been changed recently and is it the right grade or is the oil old?

Spiderman

Intercooler pipes off and faint trace of oil right next to the trurbo outlet. The hard pipe feeding to the intercooler clean as a whistle. Drove the car home in all manner of boost NO SMOKE?? Therefore, ill take red readings advice and run it till it gets worse or repeatable smoking. I am changing the oil soon as i dont know when it was last done.

Fast Guy

Moderators
Staff member
The problem occurs whilst driving at boost. If i drive with full boost for about 5 secs then back off i get smoke for about 2-3 secs whilst driving off boost. Im taking the intercooler pipes off tomorrow to check the turbine for play.
So you're saying the smoke is when you come off the throttle, not when you're on boost? It's your turbo. I drove mine 'til it got realy bad. didn't take to long to be honest.:doh: