Sleeve was damage by fitting pistons

Thor

Hello,

my friend has rebuild my block and he had damage 2 cylinder sleeves at fitting the pistons. There was the lowest oil piston ring broken. What you think. Can i run with them or make it big problems?

Here are pics:

It is circa 2cm from the top and i can feel the scratch with my finger nail but it is really small!

regards
Sascha

I would get the honing tool back into the bores and see if it cleans up.
If it doesnt its really up to you, but personally i wouldnt be happy leaving the wee nick in it when i built the engine up.

Has the bore been honed at all, looks likes theirs alot of verticle lines on the bore to the right hand side of the piccy.

Thor

No it wasn´t honed again now. Only changed piston rings and rods. So on the pic you don´t can good see the honing pic but i looks good. You have right with the vertical lines but the honing pic looks ok at these places. The pics are not the best.

Thor

What is the max of pistons we can fit into the OEM sleeves? Maybe it is better to get new pistons and rebore?

gtirx2

If you are changing the piston rings you really need to hone the bores to give the rings a chance to bed in properly.

As said above first measure your bores then get someone to hone it lightly and see how many of the marks on the bores disappear before you reach the max bore clearence for the spec of your pistons.
Not sure how much of the marks you have pointed out will come out, as i cant really tell how deep they are.But the rest of the bores should hone up nice,and it worth a try before buying new pistons.
Then check all the piston ring end gaps in the honed bores before you put it together.