Skimming Flywheel

Mark_GTiR

I've done a quick search but to no avail...

Can anyone who doesn't mind telling me or putting up a link for me about what's involved in skimming the flywheel and the purposes for doing so?

I'm going to be replacing my clutch in the very near future with my uncle.. who's a mechanic. Is it necessary to skim the flywheel every time?

Thanks in anticipation,

Mark

G

GartracS2

if the face is scored and wont clean up with emery cloth then a light skim in a lathe is required, or you will end up with clutch judder. As a rule most flywheels never need skimming when clutch is changed.
Dont skim too much in a vain attempt at lightening as the thing may explode (cast flyweels are not suitable for lightening)
hth.

ex-gtir

GartracS2 said:
. As a rule most flywheels never need skimming when clutch is changed.

hth.
this is total c r a p out of 42 to 50 clutch i have done only abot 10 % didnt need it the rest would kill the clutch in half the time there are a few people on here who have learnt that it not worth not doing it
also they have to be skimmed with a surface grinder not lathe as you can cause more judder as the lathe will take it off from edge to the centrs where as the grinder will resipricate and get it far flatter and transfer less heat
look at a flywheel that has has a paddle on it. had one done today had a 50 thou step in it :shock:

O

osmium

Unless you are putting in a poor quality clutch get it done while you are doing the clutch. Compared to the hassle of changing the clutch it isn't a very big job.

I have a ceramic paddle clutch (drives ok, its not too jumpy :) ) and my mechanic rekons that the other bits in the clutch (flywheel and other contact surfaces) will wear out before the paddles do!

The reason for skiming AFAIK is becuase as a clutch is used it creates uneaven heatspots on the various surfaces, these heatspots have different wear properties to the other surface areas, this leads to (as mentioned above) shorter life of parts and less driveability

skiddusmarkus

I've driven cars that have a paddle and not had the flywheel skimmed and driven mine with a nice new surface and mine is much easier to drive with no judder.