size and thread pitch

N

N1SMO

does anyone know or able to check the size and thread pitch of the pipe into the block for the turbo oil out as i want to replace this with a banjo bolt and braided flexi pipe to fit my turbo

P

purplemonster

hi mate
im having a few made up as we speek ,and i cant rememebr the size bits its an odd ball size i was told ?
not metric

ROBERT

N

N1SMO

seems strange as every other thread i have come across on the car is metric.

suppose ill just have to get under the car and take it out and mesure it up.
i hate getting covered in oil for nothing.

S

seanleed

It's something really stupid like a 5/16"unf 24, I took my old turbo to a hydraulics place and they didn't have a clue what it was. All I know for certain is that it is 24 tpi, the rest is guesswork. As has been said -definitely not metric. I thought it a bit strange as well, really annoying :twisted:

ex-gtir

it is metric as i make the pipes as most people know the bango is 12 mm and the bolt is 12 mm it the other end you wont get as it is 7/16 x 24tpi i have to make that end from scratch that the bit that goes into the bearing housing
these hose are still available from me :wink: can be made any length and im sure they will be cheaper than anyone else can do them :D
mike
you wont be able to fit banjo on turbo end of pipe as not enough room they do make male male adaptors to go from 7/16x 24tpi to 1/2 jic but the pipe will then fail on the actuator rod
the thread has a cone seat at the bottom of the female thread that is used to seal it
i have done alot of investigation/developement on this subject

N

N1SMO

no i want to banjo the block and cut the standard out pipe and jubile clip on to it or something.

how much do u sell the pipe for i only need the oil outlet one.

ex-gtir

you really should not jubilee oil pressure pipes as there is quite a pressure ask gary gtir spare about his oil cooler pipe sum bloke fitted with jubilee clips they need to be swaged for that sort of pressure
i can do the feed pipe for £30 delivered thats the banjo from the block fitted to a ptfe bore stainless steel overbraided hose going up to a special sw90 fitting to go under the actuator into the turbo
http://forum.gtiroc.com/phpbb2/viewtopic.php?t=6716 check out this in the for sale section :wink:
mike

M

Mr Overboooost

fit the propper pipes as you dont want to dump 2 ltrs of oil on the tarmac as i did :oops: :lol:

cheers mike for sorting my pipes out and putting the temp sender in a more suitable place :D

cheers
gary :)

N

N1SMO

ex-gtir its the oil return to the block i am having problems with, the one that has 2 bolts into the turbo and hose cliped onto the block.

S

seanleed

ex-gtir
5th Gear Redline

Posted: 08 Oct 2003 17:05 Post subject:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

an sizes arnt really used in england
what are you trying to do put me out of work
return port in block is 1/2 bspt checked today
mike
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I'm having problems with that as well, 'cos my new turbo has the oil return in a different position to the standard one. I think what you'll have to do is: get you braided pipe made up with the fitting for the block on one end and a standpipe on the other. Remove the oil return from the turbo, cut the pipe off it and get the standpipe welded in its place. Well, that's what it looks like I'll be doing anyway :)

ex-gtir

sorry me being thick "oil return not feed " sorry being dumb yes oil return in lock is 1/2 bspt and goes back to a hose tail i think is 5/8
mike

S

seanleed

Yep,it's 5/8" (16mm). Ex-gtir, do you have 5/8 convoluted ptfe with stainless overbraid hanging around?? I need about 12" but my local hydraulics shop don't have any in stock and don't want to buy in 10m of the stuff to give me my wee bit :( . If you can get it could you PM me please with a price.
Ta :!: :D