should i buy an R ?

J

jap_dan

Hi guys and hello to all (first post):oops:

Anyways im thinkng of buying a GTI-R next, what i want to know is, what am i really in for when buying one, i dont want to go down the scooby,evo,civic route that my mates have so come on guys convince me that the R is the car for me.

cheers guys;-)

davey red.r

no,unless it has had thousands thrown at it.
one that has been treat like a member of the family:lol:
you would be looking to pay 4/5.5k for a well sorted one.
dont buy a shi**er
it will only cost you in the long run.

davey

kenan

South West Regional Rep
Firstly welcome to the forum :)

What other cars have you had and what you looking to get out of it?

J

jap_dan

kenan said:
Firstly welcome to the forum :)

What other cars have you had and what you looking to get out of it?
Hi mate, ive had an xe nova and a turbo nova, starlet gtt, and currently have a 106gti, i just want something a little different to whats on the roads round here and something i can look after for a few years, i want something turbo,4x4 and fast but im not a saloon car fan so it seams the best option

gtir_pimp

go for it. if its what you want then you must try, otherwise you will be wondering what it would be like. get a good one and look after it, dont neglect oil changes make sure everything is done to a high standard by pros, RR tuners etc and you should be fine

John

Yes go for it, but you better have a bank balance that can handle being abused heavily, oh and another mode of transport for when the R is off the road which is often ;-)

J

jap_dan

John said:
Yes go for it, but you better have a bank balance that can handle being abused heavily, oh and another mode of transport for when the R is off the road which is often ;-)
are they really that unreliable, ive been doing a little reading and it seams everyones R breaks down all the time, i hope your taking the pee i really do:?

Trondelond

Mine has never had any other trouble than the trouble I've caused myself, it has been very reliable, even after I started modding it. :)

J

jap_dan

Trondelond said:
Mine has never had any other trouble than the trouble I've caused myself, it has been very reliable, even after I started modding it. :)
good stuff, so if i keep on top of chainging my oil and checking stuff and generally being nice to it i should have a pretty reliable R? i dont want the reliability issues to swing my opinion on getting one, they look and go amazing:-D

Garef

If it's been looked after you shouldn't have any major problems, just normal small problems you would expect with such an old car. ;-)

gtir_pimp

all of my problems ive had are self inflicted! i blew the gearbox a while back coz of a sh1t gear change when hammering it!

J

jap_dan

johnsy said:
get an untampered one and mod it yourself
yeah thats what im gonna do mate, if/when i have one i want it as standard and clean as possible8)

gtir_pimp

jap_dan said:
yeah thats what im gonna do mate, if/when i have one i want it as standard and clean as possible8)
it will cost a bit for a nice example thats standard. and depending on how much you want to modify it then more money on the money pit:lol:

J

jap_dan

gtir_pimp said:
it will cost a bit for a nice example thats standard. and depending on how much you want to modify it then more money on the money pit:lol:
well i will be looking to spend 4-4.5 grand on one and i dont want to go silly with modification because it will be more or less my daily drive, maybe take power to 300bhp and just wheels,exhaust,brakes thats about it.

jap_dan said:
well i will be looking to spend 4-4.5 grand on one and i dont want to go silly with modification because it will be more or less my daily drive, maybe take power to 300bhp and just wheels,exhaust,brakes thats about it.
:lol: That's where it all starts...

P

pulsarboby

disagree with everyone else here
i would say buy one for 1500 with a good engine and box (yes they can be bought for that), a few simple mods which will take you to 300bhp is more than enough and will keep car still reliable as an everyday runabout.
then sort the bodywork out and get it blown over if needs be. a few car park dings and faded scabby paint arent the end of the world.
you will then have a lovely clean car which owes you nothing and you will always get your money back if you get bored with it.

Tim

I'm in the same boat as you..

Have always wanted one of these cars, and have decided that if i don't do it now i'll never have one.

The car will be used daily as well as thrown at a few track days and also a couple of trips to the nurburgring, from there depending how it performs it might get left in Germany as a DRT.

I will be keeping the engine as standard as possible but working on handling, and braking along with some weight saving.

I have had mine for 4 years now and loved every minute of it. The only problems i have had is the starter motor stuck once but was fixed with a little tap, and the clutch release bearing broke. I have uprated exhaust, viper induction, greddy boost controller, uprated fuel pump and lots of fun