Should i break or repair my gtir

I

inferno

Ive just brought a gtir initially for breaking, but wondering how much work and costs involved to repair it.

i normally work on french cars, and have no experience with jap moters.

At the moment the heads off the car, was told something to do with a piston, but work wasnt completed.there appears to be oil in the bores, but that could of been spilt when the head came off. theres no sign of holes or melted pistons. would it be worth fully stripping and rebuilding the engine and selling or putting the car back on the road?

the cars in ok condition, but no wheels, a slightly damaged passenger door, and damaged rear driver arch.

any thought or opinions on worth for sale, cost for repair ect would be gladly received.

thanx
tom

I

inferno

my mates one wasnt that impressive tbh, i stomped all over him with an mi16 205 :p

what kinda power can i expect to get out of it before expensive pistons ect are needed? also ive just noticed its a jap model and 76k km on the clock!

Fast Guy

Moderators
Staff member
Your mate's Gtir? If so, was it standard? Mi16s can be fast, but how fast, I've never seen any figures for one.

gtirx2

My mate had a mi16(alloy block) also and we used to race a bit they are proper fun little moters, but my R with ex/filter would murder him in all conditions tell your mate to get his R set up then see what happens.
As for fixing your R it sounds like you want to sell it if you repair it so i would say strip the engine and see what damage is done first and if the pistons are ok and you decide to rebuild with the standed pistons the car would still only be worth between £2800-£3800 depending on the overal condition so i would consider breaking the car depending what you paid for it.
But if you were to want to keep the car i would say rebuild it with wiseco pistons £400 and ARP rod bolts £50-60 at the very least.
Standed nissan pistons are just not worth fitting if a piston is gone as they are just as expensive as the wiseco's and the rod bolts gives a little peace of mind.

A

abmunro

As for power some people on here have 400bhp with standard internals Well NEARLY (399.6)

Aimee

Moderators
Staff member
Id get this fixed and back on the road, the fact thats it fairly low mileage is a bonus if you do ever come to selling it :thumbsup:

D

danmo

If it's been crashed then i'd check that there is no chassis damage before even thinking of repairing the engine.
Hope all goes well.

EVOBAD

if the car hasnt got much goodies on it u wont make that much breaking it,sort the engine out then tweak the boost to 1bar which cost little money then blow the mi16 of the road:thumbsup: are u sure the pulsar which raced mi16 wasnt just a 2litre 16v or your mates pulsar is a pile of pants:lol:

I

inferno

my mates was defo an R, and on the flat out he hit 160km/h 105mph? where at the same point on the road id both got to 105 and slowed back down to 40mph . my reading was with a g tec meter, his was with his clocks!

anyway, on further inspection, the paint works really quite bad on the roof and bonnet, and the rear driver quarter. so i think ill be stripping it and maybe reusing the running gear in a non r pulsar ;)

the rear diff looks new, and theres a pair of willwood 4pots on it too:p also a strut brace , boost guage, and a few other odds and sods... how do i post a for sale?

also the exhaust looks massive all the way through but doesnt look stainless as i thought... do they have massive pipes as standard? do they make silver R's? as ive been offered a non R in silver ;)