shorted out the ecu?

nitrosgti-r

hi all.

i was wiring in my fog light today to prepare for the MOT and in doing so i took a live feed from the ecu to the illumiating switch (must illuminate for mot) but as i was feeding the wire through, it shorted out on the body. The engine was running as i have week battery and i was in trial and error mode, but as it shorted the engine died.

I have the red light from the ecu come on and the fault code reads back 1 long and 3 short (13) which is a "103 Coolant temperature sensor. The coolant sensor or circuit may be shorted or open. Check the coolant temperature sensor & circuit."

My question is how exactly can i check the coolant sensor? what am i looking for? And the same for the circuit?

Any ideas what i have done?

cheers guys :D

P

pulsarboby

before you go any further, the coolant temp sensor will not cause the car to cut out if its malfunctioning!

why on earth did you take a live feed from the ecu for the lighting circuit, you should never do that:doh:

you may now have blown the circuitry apart in the ecu. try removing the battery earth lead for an hour, then re-connect it. this will reset the ecu and may possibly allow the car to start.
if not then you will need another ecu, i have some if thats the case.

nitrosgti-r

i did that just to see if the light would work with out having to take out the dash etc. what wire should i plumb into then?

well i dis con the battery for an hour but still nothing? i have lost + feed from the ecu now but the red light still comes on?

Ill have the ecu off you if iv blown mine but i have a mines ecu daughterboard in mine so il have to get that changed over as it was a good chip i thought.

cheers bobby

P

pulsarboby

just take the feed from any live wire on the lighting circuit then check you have a live to the switch and from the switch to the fog.
normally when fog lights pack up its a dodgy earth or corroded bulb as their notorious for water leaking into the unit.

but you should NEVER mess around with live wires running from ecu whilst its electrically live, and never run lighting curcuits from it!

ive got 2 ecu's left in good order, but try one in the car before you change the chip as its possible you may have damaged the chip too!

oldaneal

if you have lost one of the live feeds to the ecu it would be worth checking your fuses to make sure one of then didnt go when you were connecting the wires up

nitrosgti-r

i have checked all the fuses oldaneal. Cheers bobby, i guess im showing my novice skills here as me and electrics have never really got on that well. Ill have the ecu off you then please so if you pm me ur ady please cos i can only pay by cheque as paypal have Pissed me off. Unless i can pay you via credit card?

Pm me mate :)