short spark plug?

smiddy

I am running bcr8es plugs at moment, when on full boost the pistons are hittig the plugs and closing the gap, is there a shorter plug I can use instead?

PobodY

Moderators
Staff member
Is this a common problem; I thought they were the same size/length as the "standard" plugs?

I would have thought the bigger issue here is the damage to your pistons if they keep hitting the plugs. - Have you had the head or block skimmed a great deal?

smiddy

Yes head definitely skimmed unsure about block, was rebuilt by hiteq. Has only started recently, drives ok under normal load

The Doc

Moderators
Staff member
If your plugs were hitting the pistons your engine would have been scrap long ago! It is physically impossible!

smiddy

What could be causing this then, only one plug will be closed and dented each time, on any cylinder causing big misfire, could carbon build up on piston be causing them totouchplug?

red reading

Not unless you have 20mm thick of carbon on top of the pistons, can you post a picture of the plugs up? Are you sure they are closing the gap up and not being gummed up with carbon deposits?

PobodY

Moderators
Staff member
There's definitely something wrong if it's hitting the plugs; has it not damaged the valves too, or maybe that's not likely as long as the timing is spot-on?

Fast Guy

Moderators
Staff member
Detonation?

I remember someone claiming something similar years ago about plug electrodes getting bent.

smiddy

Can't get pictures up, plug gap is closed tight and plug scored. What causes detonation? Car runs perfectly and drives spot on, this has happened twice now but only when driving hard up the rev range

smiddy

Did a fault code check and got 34 knock sensor, took car for a blast and did another check and getting 55