Servicing price?

A

Anonymous

Evening all. Phoned my local Nissan garage up today for a price of a service - they quoted 350 quid - is this the going rate? I'm not mechanically minded so i don't know wether i'd waant to do it myself.
Should i be looking elsewhere or is that a fair price from Nissan?

Keira

Depending on what they will actually do for £350 it could be a piss take.

A service really isn't that hard to do yourself,, what you actually looking at doing ?

Fast Guy

Moderators
Staff member
Find out what they will do for that.
If you do a full (engine/gearbox/transfer/rear diff) oil change yourself you are looking at about £100. and maybe about another £130 for filters(oil/air/fuel) leads, plugs dizzy cap, rotor arm. That still leaves £120ish fro labour and other parts (if there are any)

Keira

The only way you will learn is to have ago yourself, must be someone near you who could help.

Personnaly i'd rather do it myself even if it took me twice aslong, (A) you know exactly whats been done and (B) you havn't had some twat from nissan rag the tits off your car during his lunch time...It happens :( and (C) Its cheaper :)

A

Anonymous

I'm looking at doing the full service (As Fast Guy quoted).
I'm phoning Nissan back tomorrow as the guy wasn't sure what was included in the price because his boss wasn't about to confirm it!

A

Anonymous

kieron said:
The only way you will learn is to have ago yourself, must be someone near you who could help.

Personnaly i'd rather do it myself even if it took me twice aslong, (A) you know exactly whats been done and (B) you havn't had some t**t from nissan rag the tits off your car during his lunch time...It happens :( and (C) Its cheaper :)
You're probably right mate.

J

J-GTi-R

The only real expense in a normal big service is changing the cam belt, but we have a cam chain which is pretty much life of the engine (unless is gets a bit noisey). I looked at the servicing cost chart the last time I was in Nissan (the Newbury one puts it on the wall of the salesroom). The price for a normal service for a 200SX (also cam chain of course) was £120, so I can't see the transfer case oil change costing you another £180!!!

With bucket and shim tappets and the cam chain taking care of the most techincal servicing jobs, the rest is easy and you can do it yourself in 1/2 a day, even if you've never done it before.

A

AZ STE

Where do you live? its not that difficult to do most things yourself .£350 is a joke :shock:

Fast Guy

Moderators
Staff member
AZ STE said:
£350 is a joke :shock:
It is, but not as bad as if first appears when you start adding bit's up. Like £100 just for all the oils (£30engine, £70 for transmission) and that's only a small bit of the service. Not all bits need changing everytime tho, it depends how much you want to do.

A

AZ STE

Yes when I first got mine it had a warranty so I had to have the fliter oil changed by Nissan.They put some castrol magnatec in Nissan filter and some shell oil in the back and charged me £150 .Thats when I decided to start doing as much as I could myself with beter quality items Nissan havent even heard of Millers or Redline.

A

Anonymous

AZ STE said:
Where do you live? its not that difficult to do most things yourself .£350 is a joke :shock:
Hi mate - I live near Lincoln (Caenby Corner).
Powerstation quoted 350 quid for the full works - gearbox oil etc....

Keira

I did a complete transmission oil change on mine not long after i got it, honestly mate aslong as you can get under it it isn't hard, the hardest part was getting the drain plugs out cos they were in super tight and nissan put some sealer type stuff on them, other than that its a piece of p!ss.

Unless you really cant be @rsed have ago yourself.