seriosly over fuelling ????

A

alexpulsar

i have picked my pulsar up 2day from having new oil pressure release valve and mains changed as low oil pressure took my bearings this is now all fine but when you start it ,it over fuels pops bangs very load dont like been revved feels like its only ruinning on 2 almost loads of black smoke strong smell of petrol .ive spent 15k on this bloody car and wanna kick it in.can anyone please help :shock:

snoon

Do a fault code check, could be a faulty sensor or wiring.

Do a search on here, really useful guide and all you need is a piece of wire and your eyes!!

P

pulsarboby

take it back to whoever did the job and tell them to sort the thing out properly!

A

alexpulsar

maf is deff plugged in ok could it be faulty maybe after all its a pulsar money trap its already stolen 15k out my bank:cry: :cry: :cry:

A

alexpulsar

rather not take it back to them bunch of clueless muppets.but to be fair they said it was running perfect they test drove it and called me to pick it up xmas eve but i was leggless drunk so had to leave it till new year and its been standing for 2 weeks then out the blue runs like an old age pensioner cuoghing its tits up. weird or what

B1Ad3

it will be MAF if it will not rev over 3k and also if you try and rev it, it will back fire and smell really bad.

The other thing might be timing.

P

pulsarboby

heres a copy of what alex sent me and my reply, he explains more clearlly the problem in the pm, should anyone else have any other ideas!

Quote:
Originally Posted by alexpulsar
hi there, ive not been on this site long but you seem to know what your talking about with the how deep r your pockets motor.i just wanted ask you about serious over fuelling as mine is, it will not tick over, plumes of black smoke pure oetrol id say. It pops and bangs very loud if you attempt to rev it to much. ive got a 255 pump and FSE power boost valve std injectors. my vacum pipes r in a bit of a mess and my brake pedal has no ressitance,almost like no vacum to servo ?? it was alright before xmas when it went in to have new oil pressure relief valve as i lost oil press on idle occ on tick over only. I had to also replace my main bearings as the oil problem took them out. but thats all been sorted good oil press etc also checked compression and all is a ok. its had new forged pistons rings from wossenor .and complete engine build cams 264 etc etc.the engine centre has set the timing when they built the engine and shimmed the valve cleartences to 0.14 on both bankas and all run ok for a good 1500 miles till all these problems have occured.im sorry if im putting on you but im so rubbish on this owners site as im rubbish with computers but if you can help me or do some fishing about i would be in your debt best regards alepulsar.:shock:

hi alex
first of all, if they have set the valve clearance to 0.14 between rockers and cam clearance then that is wrong! this measurement hot should be 0.30-0.35mm on both banks. as per thread if it appears like its running intermittently on 2 cylinders then this could well be part of the problem.
secondly when you say your brake pedal has no resistance (as if no vacuum) do you mean you have to stamp on the pedal to get vehicle to stop! or have you got excessive pedal movement?
what rpm will the car rev to before it starts choking up?
you also say your vacuum pipes seem to be in a mess!!! whys that, are there any open pipes, disconnected pipes etc?

as per thread the afm could well be the part of the problem with your overfuelling, but really need a little more info with regard to the other bits you have described, before a better diagnosis can be achieved.
i do however strongly advise you not to run the car untill this is sorted out or you will end up wrecking your newly built engine through severe borewash, which will cause pistons / rings to tear the cylinder walls apart and wreck the pistons also.
after this problem is sorted, change the engine oil also as you will have contaminated oil with fuel traces in it.
i will paste this up on the thread so you and others can view it on there, as someone else may also have some other ideas as you have explained more here than on the thread you put up.
cheers
bob

A

alexpulsar

:roll: i i think your right, regards to maf.im picking one up tonight .so can they just pack up after standing for 2 weeks, as it were running all ok before the garage closed for xmas?? dont think its the timing, as he set it up before and was sweet.i have got hks 264 cams which are shimmed at 0.14 both banks. i got the settings from ian at hi teq as he has fitted many inc my friends james downes old pulsar.L78 ENP which he no longer has owned fo a few years may i add.

Last edited by a moderator:
P

pulsarboby

he must mean shim distance from back of rocker to shim clearance!

this can easily be confused with the main cam to rocker clearance. so lets hope he has not got confused with the two, this clearance is 0.30 to o.35 when hot!
and yes a maf can pack up at anytime, same as anything else on any car reaklly!

A

alexpulsar

just tried to mafs courtesy of dave pulsar350 cheers dave but still no joy still doing the same thing.maybe its a timing fault.will get on to ian or jon i think at hi teq .will look into these valve clearences also.?? ive had enough anyone want my car 2800 ono . clean car just wont run :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :doh:

P

pulsarboby

i bet you they have got the shim to rocker clearances muddled up with the cam to rocker clearance, which will mean that the valves arent closing properly when they should (clearances being far too tight).
this will cause it to pop and bang through the exhaust as youve described. will also burn valves out very quickly indeed, will also cause overfuelling!

what you need to do is get in touch with the firm that did the head and shimming and ask them if they set the clearances between rocker and cam face @ 0.14! if they did then thats where your problem lies;-)
an engine building company should have all that info themselves (available on autodata) which is a widely used trade main source of info.
why were they relying on hiteq to give them clearances that they should have already known!!!

A

alexpulsar

i know bob they are retarded and when i mentioned the valve clearence they sounded baffled to how thin this is .the head was originally rebuilt and gas flowed via adam from heads first somewhere in telford and he was also shocked with clearences with hks cams he actually spoke to ian at hi teq as he was not covinced .i have also tried a diff ecu tonight no luck.what you reckon to putting orig fuel press reg back on ??

MORF114

Have you replaced your 02 sensor?

Could have died maybe damaged during engine rebuild they are quite sensitive something has died if it drove fine for 1500miles now its overfueling.

P

pulsarboby

alexpulsar said:
i know bob they are retarded and when i mentioned the valve clearence they sounded baffled to how thin this is .the head was originally rebuilt and gas flowed via adam from heads first somewhere in telford and he was also shocked with clearences with hks cams he actually spoke to ian at hi teq as he was not covinced .i have also tried a diff ecu tonight no luck.what you reckon to putting orig fuel press reg back on ??

i was gonna suggest using a different ecu also, but you have already tried that lol. would put the standard regulator back, and also check injectors for spray pattern.
morf above has also hit on a good point with the lambda sensor! if one of your mates has another one, then swipe it off them and try that on your car also, only a 5 minute job to try that. i dont think it will make it run that bad as ive driven cars with no lambda on at all, and you can still drive them even though they do run rich and a bit lumpy when hot.

also morf suggested that something has instantly died! well that may necessarily not be the case here if those valve clearances are that tight and valves have been burnt over a period of 1500 miles.
trouble is with having 2 measurements is that a majority of mechanics will set the clearances via rocker to cam, so its a bit misleading if you dont know all about these and get those clearances muddled up with rocker to shim.

it says 0.30 across inlet and exhaust (but i always set them at 0.30 inlet and 0.35 exhaust) and not had a problem there yet, to me it seems ridiculous that an inlet valve should have the same clearance as an exhaust which obviously gets a lot hotter.

did this problem gradually get worse or was it 'one day it was fine, and the next it wasnt' kind of problem? from what i can gather its the latter of the two!

Last edited by a moderator: