sensor in the cat

bengilmore

just bought a mongoose exhaust and was wondering if the sensor and nut in my old cat is all corroded(spelling??), and wont come out, what do you lads usually do:doh:

cheers

Shaun

Theres a couple of things you can do
1)Heat the area where its fitted to loosen it
2)If no heat then try a good set of MoleGrips or Stilsens
3)If all that fails then theres a plug under the drivers seat,cut the end off the sensor by the cat,unplug it and pull the wire up into the car.

antgtir

This sensor is just a heat sensor and doesn't control anything apart from a small light in the dash, its just an indicator.

Mine twisted and snapped the end so i just cable tied the bugger up and left the sensor part in the de cat box.

Ant.

bengilmore

ye, a lad told me it was just a heat sensor.
Will it effect the emissions if I don't have it fitted to the mongoose, justr thinking about the Mot, or NCT as its called over here.
Also is it ok to just put a screw into it to block it off?

Cheers

antgtir

As i said before all it does is light up the "cat hot" symbol on your dash, it doesnt change the emissions.

As long as the bolt you put in, isnt of the melting kind then no prob's, i would just say try to keep it short so that the bolt doesn't petrude into the exhaust as with the sensor.;-)

Ant.

smiler

I put a decat onto my car today and just unplugged it from under the seat took it out for a drive and the light seems to be staying off.

gunmetalgtir

The light won't come on, as it only does when it get's too hot! So if its not plugged in it's not going to get a reading from it!

snoon

I'd disconnect it, mine kept going into safe mode (no power, and I mean none!) until I disconnected it under drivers seat.

Shaun

turboloon

snoon said:
I'd disconnect it, mine kept going into safe mode (no power, and I mean none!) until I disconnected it under drivers seat.

Shaun
mines was doing the same as well i have done the above and the car seems to be boosting ok now...

turboloon

gunmetalgtir said:
well i've spent a fooking fortune trying to get to the bottom of this problem :doh: fingers crossed all is now ok and if any one else beifits from this then that can only be a good thing,between paying for my turbo to get a new housing new det sensor,lenths of silicone hosing not to mention the man hours ....:evil: