Seat belts and mot!!

Hi,

Taking my R for a mot, thinking of getting it on the road for the summer, only mot and tax needed, but when checking it over today I noticed the rear seat belts don't work, as in the part you put the metal buckle into doesnt hold sometimes it does but 9 - 10 it doesn't..

If I take the rear seats and belts out will this therefore pass as no seats installed, say it's track use only??

Think that's all it will fail on and a slightly very slight blowing de cat gasket...

Gaz

vss irvine

if the belts are fitted they have to work. if you remove the belts, you have to remove the seats aswell

Bugger cant get the bolt out holding the rear near side inertial real on, no matter how much wd40 squirted on, head of the bolt just rounded, grind it off tomorrow morning before MOT will drill it out and re tap it or stick a helicoil in, other than that all stripped, might use it for track days now!!!

PobodY

Moderators
Staff member
It might be a bit late now, but check that you're not trying to put the sash belts into the lap belt receiver; often they're different and won't catch, but I can't remember if that's the case in the R.

To be honest all 3 didnt work for some reason, think a spring or something has fell out, as the release button just flaps around loosely inside. Takes a good while to get it to lock but if you apply preasure it pulls out without pressing the release button.

Looking at the MOT regs for seat belts, you must be able to apply force to the belt and it should stay locked.

Too many things wrong with them so ripped out (ground off) dumped in garage, job done.

Cant wait to drive it tomorrow, last time I drove it was Xmas eve :) woohoo

johnsy

i removed the rear seats and belt buckles, but iv left the over the shoulder belts in and received an advisory for them

Bugger!! Just dropped it off at the MOT place, and noticed the brake servo isnt working right :-( arse! theres a lot of travel in the pedal when you first press it, come off then press again and its firm and a lot higher up. Oh well, will have to wait and see!

woohoooo brakes passed, shame the rest of the car didnt!!!

Fails
NS Rear Shock leaking heavily
Fog light swt light not working ( but it hasnt for the last 7 MOT's )

Advisorys
Off side CV gaitor deteriorated
Nearside tyre worn close to legal limit
Offside Rear shock reduced damping
Nearside rear brake pipe slightly corroded
Fuel pipes corroded

Phone call to bob me thinks, get a strut to get it passed, might invest in coil overs in the summer...

PobodY

Moderators
Staff member
What's the diference between "deteriorted" and "split" - I thought dodgy gaitors were a fail, but if I can get away without replacing them I will.

Both rear shocks knackered?

He said it's got a very small split, just slightly leaking grease, one less urgent job to do though!!

Only the one shock knackered, just going to stick a 2nd hand one on for now just to get it through, might just clean it up and say I replaced it ;-) the other side is wearing, not leaking so just an advisory.

Last edited:

Fast Guy

Moderators
Staff member
One shock knackered and one reduced damping. It'd be daft to just put one on. Replace them both.
As for the gator, do it sooner rather than later or it could open up and run your cv joint dry, then you could end up with a knackered cv joint as well.

Im going to replace all 4 shocks in a few months time, just need a 2nd hand one to make it pass, off on holiday thursday morning so need to source one off Bob today/tomorrow so when I get back i can slap it on. Got 10 working days for the retest, time I get off holiday only got 1 working day left to sort it, hence the rush :)