Screeching noise coming from car

Pete Watson

Have been a getting this horrible noise for a while now, thought it may be a dry Alternator brng but have just fitted a new Alternator and the noise is still there.

It is difficult to describe, all i can say it's quite loud and comes and goes with speed it seems, i have checked all the hoses for a poss air leak but they are all ok, belts are all new. It is not Boost related as i have switched the engine off and coasted along the road for 5-10 secs and the noise continues.

I thought i read somewhere that Wheel Brngs tend to fail around 50k, although it does not sound like the normal Wheel Brngs noise i am not ruling it out, i feel it has to be a something along those line as it makes the noise with the engine off.

Has anyone come accross this before?

Rgs Pete

Fast Guy

Moderators
Staff member
Screeching noises are normally belts slipping.
Wheel bearings tend to rumble/drone on corners not screech.
If you've turned the engine off and it continues then it points towards the drive train

How about a stone trapped in the brakes or something.

Does it go if you turn and which way?

fubar andy

Moderator & N/W Rep
Staff member
I've got a similar problem with mine, it seems to whine when it gets warm, but with closer inspection its seems less likely to be the belts.

A quick way I’ve found is a quick spray of WD40 on the belt wheels seems to stop if for a while, but then it returns again.

Revving also seems to stop the noise for about a minute or so, but then its back and making that bloody sound again....

Not sure if these are symptoms are what you have? but my engine is coming out next week and I’m having some of these bits looked at while its out.

MarkTurbo

I usually find that high pitch screeching sounds in the car are caused by a female in the passenger seat :wink:

If you've got one with you get shot of her quick :lol:

Pete Watson

It's not a belt slip noise, i mention Wheel Brngs as the sound is like a dry brng. As the noise was still very loud while coasting with the engine off i kind of ruled out anything Engine wise.

Just had the Wheels off, nothing seems to be a mis, brakes are all ok, can't feel any movement in the Wheel Brngs. However i can feel some play in the Steering, not sure if it is the Steering Arms or the Rack itself.

I have tried turning the steering while the noise is evident, makes no diffence at all.

Rgs Pete

pulsar_stu

Is this noise there when your stopped and the car is idling?? or if you rev the engine??

could it be the chain tensioner?? some one please tell me what im talking about :oops: :lol: i know there is a tensioner between the pulley wheels, but im not to sure what it is :oops: i do know they make a noise when they are broke :wink:

check the crank pulley wheel aswell mate, when i got my R, it had a screaching noise when driving and then the pulley rim seperated from the pulley wheel :oops: its the wheel that the alternator belt goes to :wink:

Pete Watson

Water pump is new.

Only does it when moving, but not all the time, it comes and goes. It makes the noise without the engine running.

OZ-Racing

I had this when the rear brake pads wore down, they have a special tab to make them squeal when they are low, but you said you checked the brakes :?

Something catching the propshaft maybe :?:

paz

Seized rear brake or something like that maybe? :? Is it front or back of the car that the noise is coming from?

Paz