Screamer pipe

recaro18

Ive heard a lot about these screamer pipes that people have on there modified R's, i know it comes of the tubular manifold and the external wastegate is attatched 2 it etc, but is the the standard turbo on the gti'r got an internal wastegate because i would love to have the chatter and noise of the external wastegate, so to get the noise would mean i would have to get a upgrade turbo just to have 1? any advise would be appreciated

rich

youngsyp

See a couple of posts up, you can get a very similar noise by removing you BOV or fitting an adjustable BOV. Obviously it won't be as loud though !

MarkTurbo

youngsyp said:
See a couple of posts up, you can get a very similar noise by removing you BOV or fitting an adjustable BOV. Obviously it won't be as loud though !
The noise you get from removing the dumpvalve sounds nothing like the noise you get from a screamer pipe off an external wastegate :der: :lol:

nismoboy

Its also possible to convert internally gated turbo to external by welding the wastgate flap shut and welding in a flange on the manifold for an external wastgate.

recaro18

cheers nismoboy, has anyone tried doin this to there R? and would it affect the performance of the turbo in any way by blocking the original wastegate hole? would there be any other possible way of adding an external wastegate apart from modyfying the turbo?
rich

A

AJ4

I think the point that stumo is trying to make is... people fit screamer pipes because they have massive turbos and run huge amounts of power and the screamer is for performance reasons. I dont think I've ever heard of anyone putting one on just for the sound... :(

T

tro||

markturbo had a vent to atmosphere screamer on his t28.

the point of not returning the wastegate gases is to prevent turbulence when the 2 meet which 'could' affect flow in the exhuast system, .... Its also a matter of plumbing, its far easier to just dump it down a short tube than trying to return the dump pipe to meet the front pump