Scorched Flywheels

steve963

Just changing my clutch and noticed the flywheel has blue scorch marks on it

Should I get it skimmed, or do you think it`ll be OK, feels a bit lumpy when you run your hand over it

what sort of socket gets the bolts undone, and do they need a torque wrench to refit?

Thanks

P

pulsarboby

yes get it skimmed or fit another flywheel if its not flat!
just use a normal socket to undo bolts, but torque them up correctly when refitting to correct torque.
you dont want that thing flying loose whilst your driving!

youngsyp

After having judder issues with mine since having a new clutch fitted, I'd always advise to get the flywheel skimmed before you put everything back together !

Not sure what socket size to use but, you should always torque the flywheel bolts up to the recommended rating. I wouldn't fancy anything coming loose at 7000 rpm ! :shock:

steve963

of course, I was thinking of the 5 or 6 sided sockets, forgot there was the other type!!

anyone know where to get it skimmed in south Ches? any ideas on cost? (yes I know, im too lazy to scoure the web)

steve963

nice one, would like it lightened also, but not sure after reading that skyline thread a min ago!!! couldnt see the pics though :-(

PaulB

nah, if you want a lightened flywheel, just buy one, you canit go taking stuff off to lighten it. TBH OEM flywheels are well heavy and youd need to take soo much off to make it worthwhile.
A fidanza is only about 150quid neway

scottyd

youngsyp said:
After having judder issues with mine since having a new clutch fitted, I'd always advise to get the flywheel skimmed before you put everything back together !

Not sure what socket size to use but, you should always torque the flywheel bolts up to the recommended rating. I wouldn't fancy anything coming loose at 7000 rpm ! :shock:
My clutch judders, is that a bad thing? only whaen easing it on when pulling off.

PaulB

steve963 said:
where from, they were £400 where I was looking
Well this ones an SR20 flywheel, not sure if its the same one. EBAY LINK

scottyd said:
My clutch judders, is that a bad thing?
#

sometimes yes, either a warped flywheel that requires skimming, or a close to being knackered clutch !

youngsyp

scottyd said:
My clutch judders, is that a bad thing? only whaen easing it on when pulling off.
Mines done it since I had the clutch changed, which was around 3 1/2 years ago so, I wouldn't worry too much !

It could be a number of things although, will normally be caused by high spots on the flywheel.

Other causes might be oil contamination on the friction disc and a warped flywheel, as mentioned. Although, the latter is pretty unlikely and will almost certainly effect the balance of the flywheel so, causing other problems !

Not sure how it points to an almost 'knackered clutch' though ?! PaulB, can you explain ?

P

pulsarboby

Not sure how it points to an almost 'knackered clutch' though ?! PaulB, can you explain ?,quote

sometimes a clutch wears uneven, and when it gets down near the rivets it will slip and bite on take up (grippy and ungrippy points) which gives the effect of a clutch judder, just a poorly made clutch!
some patterned clutches are notorious for it, due to poor quality remanufacturing!!

youngsyp

pulsarboby said:
Not sure how it points to an almost 'knackered clutch' though ?! PaulB, can you explain ?,quote

sometimes a clutch wears uneven, and when it gets down near the rivets it will slip and bite on take up (grippy and ungrippy points) which gives the effect of a clutch judder, just a poorly made clutch!
some patterned clutches are notorious for it, due to poor quality remanufacturing!!
Thanks Bob.
That was my thing to learn for today ! :lol: