running rich?

what can cause my car to run rich, everything appears to run fine, but the exhaust gasses just stink of fuel and it drinks so much petrol..

theres no faults either.

ive had 400bhp motors that use half as much fuel:cry:

steve963

I think everyones runs rich, mine has no fueling changes from std and it runs less than 10 ARF sometimes at 1.2bar

ive got this switch thats onthe dash its been there since the car was imported im wondering if its some jap mod i read about on here'

Jonesy

My dad had a switch on his R seemed to switch between the standard ecu and a daughter board that was fitted in japan. Could be that try tracing the wires.

doggydowg

i have one too where a fog lite would be on a sunny tried it and it aint the fog is there anymore info on this as im now going to have to pull all my dash apart tracing the wires;)

Fusion Ed

Two possible reasons. One its running in the knock map and so eating fuel or two its running lots of boost and pushing it into the very rich part of the map (see below)

nismoboy

Micra Ed said:
Two possible reasons. One its running in the knock map and so eating fuel or two its running lots of boost and pushing it into the very rich part of the map (see below)

so at what boost level on a t28 will the engine run lean,? i know people that just rewire a walbro and run 1.4bar all day long, is this just luck of the draw or can the standard map fuel such boost? i

Fusion Ed

Yep its pretty random. Usually a stock T28 wont do enough boost at the top end to go lean enough to blow the engine. So people who say 1.4 bar on stock turbo wont be doing that at the red line, it will be mid range where the torque is high but the bhp is not quite so.. If they did the engine would pretty soon go into melt down.

Depending on spec from about 1.1 bar they tend to go rich on the stock setup then begin to lean out as you go further past 1.2+. Its not something I would ever do since I like things to be in control of what is going on etc..

mprice501

EssexAaron said:
what can cause my car to run rich, everything appears to run fine, but the exhaust gasses just stink of fuel and it drinks so much petrol..

theres no faults either.

ive had 400bhp motors that use half as much fuel:cry:
I have this switch that lights up too and another one next to it....one is the fog light but im not sure of the other.

how much fuel do you get to the tank? on average i can get around 200 miles.

nex

there is a jumper in the ecu which decides whether the ecu reads its inbuilt map or an external (daughter board) map, trace the wires, switch might link to that.

dead o2 sensor can cause it to run silly rich too cant it?

Last edited: