running rich ??????????/

A

alfyboy

hi guys, my R has started running seriously rich, getting about 100 to 120 miles to a tank of petrol :shock: prviously getting about 200
plugs, rotor arm, cap, leads fitted at last service, (about 2500 miles ago)
removed plugs yesterday to clean them as they were badly carboned.
none of them were too wet, so thet rules out sticky injecter,
im running standard boost with a walbro, full exhaust system and induction kit.
any ideas :?

A

alfyboy

ram5ay said:
There is a wee test you can do to give you an idea if its ok, posted it here a while ago.

http://bb.gtiroc.com/viewtopic.php?p=258085&highlight=#258085

:wink:
tried this, checked out ok.
took the car for a good run last night, felt like it was holding back, kind of lazy, i know this is down to the overfueling but i cant find anything obvious. Was going to fit standard air box on to see if it would help but i cant find it due to moving house :?
Think i might just book it into AWD, see if he can sort it :?
Any other ideas from anyone?

ram5ay

Was thinking mate, it might be worth checking your oil for fuel contamination!
If it's overfueling really badly then you can get fuel in your oil via bore wash. I've seen a scoob with a fucked maf spew so much fuel into its sump the oil ran out like water, can't be to good for your bottom end!!
Prob worth a check just to be safe.

What type of filter you got?? Sometimes the oil impregnated ones can confuse the maf if the oil gets inside, not very common but it may be worth having a look in your maf at the wee sensor, see how clean it looks.
You can quite often clean them up with some quality electrical contact cleaner, possibly carb cleaner but preferably something that doesnt leave any residue.

Fuel pressure reg is another possibility, heard of a punctured diphram allowing fuel to spew into the intake manifold via the vacuum pipe, might be worth a check??

Think thats me maxed out my ideas quota for this week.
:wink: