Running rich causes

Chiffs

What would cause the R to run rich?

I know they tend to run a little rich but what would cause really rich running ie about 10 or 11 on a wideband?

At idle you can really smell it and when on boost it was checked with the wideband.

Cars ruuning fmic, filter, avcr at 1 bar, walbro pump, GFB bov, standard ecu.

Air leaks?
Fuel pressure reg?

Dont really know much on this subject so any help would be greatfull.
Thanks in advance.

Chiffs

Replaced lambda not long ago. airflow meter seems fine and does it not show on fault code check.

Done fault check and shes 55 all clear

P

powerfreack

bov sometimes make you over fuel between gear changes but not sure about idle

G

Green Dwarf

I wouldn't even begin to suggest that I know anything about R's, but I will repeat this cautionary note form the guy I bought mine of, albe it haevily modified. He told me that the car runs richand always should. It always shows rich on the meter in the pod.

He warned me that I must keep it that way and should not attempt to lean it off otherwise i will damage something. What exactly I forget! but his general message was that it must run rich or the engine is not happy and you will damage bits if you run it lean.

He also advised see an expert if you have probs as these cars are very easy to screw up and expensive to fix. Dont know if this is of any use other than take qualified advice b4 you lean it off otherwise you may apparently damage something expensive! good luck!

G

Green Dwarf

ps mine always smells rich on tick over and when I pull away after idling with the wind a certain way and windows down I get engulfed in petrol fumes! - its that bad! otherwise car runs fantasticlly.

youngsyp

Have you checked the earth condition for the MAF ? There's a thread somewhere to tell you how to do this and what you need to do to rectify it !

It could be a faulty fuel pressure regulator I suppose ?!

CruiseGTi-R

you're lucky running rich.

mine is either stoich or 12.6 at high revs :shock:

goes like **** though.

Last edited:

Chiffs

Dont have anything to messure how good or crap the earth on the maf is but ive re-earthed it already anyway.

Cruise stoich is where max power can be gained is it not, so not bad at all or have i confused that?

Is the ideal on lambda for cruising not like 14.6 and then a bit richer like 12 for wot? Or have I got that a bit wrong?