running on 3??

G

gashx

hi everybody, im new to the forum,

i've just bought my 1'st 'r' it ran fine for about 15 miles and then started running on 3 cylinders, i took the plugs out and pots 1 2 and 4 were showing signs of running lean (suspect low fuel pressure), pot 3 is quite oily but still produces a spark, the strange thing is sometimes when i hold it at around 2000 revs it has 2 sec spurts of running smoothly, could this maybe be a blocked injector, i am getting more pop backs from the exhaust now too, no water or fumes in oil and vice versa, it was a bit low on oil so have replaced it thinking maybe a valve was sticking but still no joy, this all happened 20 mins after i got my insurance too :doh: so i'm a bit gutted, plz plz help

thanks to all that reply

Gaz

Fusion Ed

Have the injectors cleaned do a compression test and then put in new plugs with good injectors and change the fuel filter. (for a start!!)

zxczxc

sounds very simliar to what happened to me when i bought my first one!

turned out all i needed was some fresh fuel

it was misfiring like a bitch all the way home

fresh 99 tesco ron and it was driving wonderfully.

definatly change plugs tho ive just changed them on the R i bought other day and its made a noticeable differance response wise

G

gashx

done a compression test, found pot 3 was very low, added some oil and compression raised a small amount......head off time i think, thanks for your suggestions guys

Fast Guy

Moderators
Staff member
It might be worth having the injectors checked while the head's off (just in case it is running lean like you suspect)

What was the compression on 3? It could be worth checking the valve train for 4 is intact (there have been a couple of broken rockers in the past)