running funny

gtir bean

i put on a new airflow meter the other day as mine had gone and it runs different now.it idles lower than it used to so its just above 1k now but its a bit lumpy sometimes.also when sitting at a constan speed sometimes off boost it feels like its spluttering or holding back but as soon as you sink the boot it feels spot on.no fualt codes or anything.could it be something not 100% with the afm as that is the only thing that i have changed?

A

alfyboy

is the earth ok for the maf, have you tryed re-earthing it?

hmmm

Also check that the plug is connected properly and that the pins within the plug are still in place.

Rishi

Still waiting on some shims!
Also bear in mind that you could be mapped on a MAF that wasn't 100% at the time so it may be worth a re-map...

Rishi

gtir bean

its never been mapped as such,its standard ecu etc.its no fault codes yet.when its cold it wants to stall easy and idles at 1k.it always idles at 1k or near enough now but it feels like a slight missfire when just driving allong normaly but its fine when gou give it some.any more ideas?

Shaun

:-D Hi mate,i'm having a similar problem,when its cold i dont get any choke and it keeps stalling ;-) ,as soon as its warm i have problems with it ticking over and holds back something dreadful ;-) .

A

AJ4

gtir bean said:
feels like a slight missfire when just driving allong normaly but its fine when gou give it some
probably unrelated but I had this a few years ago and it turned out to be the plug gap. They had widened / eroded just that little bit too much and a 2 minute re-gap fixed it.

gtir bean

its only started doing this after changing the maf thou.it goes fine under load but on very light throttle and at idle its a bit lumpy.

gtir bean

yes,regrounded it but still the same.not checked the plugs yet but had them out recently.im going to try annother maf and see what its like.

Fire & skill

Vintage member
i reckon its the maf mate - its a pity we never thought of it when you were down, could have swapped them over with mine to check :(

gtir bean

i have my mates maff here and its the same with his.its no fault code or anything still.the maf may be dirty?it does seem slightly worse with mine.its the first time my car has idled where its meant to now.im away up north tomorow so i will find out how it goes then.

gtir bean

just done about 700 miles over the weekend and when you sit a constant speeds below about 3k rpm its like the car is bucking slightly.when you nail it and its on boost and at higher rpm its fine.also i dont think the choke is coming on,when i start it from cold it wants to stall at first.when warm the idle is where it should be just a bit lumpy.???

gtir bean

not had a complete check but it holds boost and goes to 1.1 bar as before.plugs etc are fine.i took out an old apexi afc so i will check i havent left a wire disconected or anything.what controlls the choke?