Running a front mount with an uncut bumper..

GTiRlover

I have gotten hold of an uncut front bumper, my question is will it be okay to leave it uncut with a front mount? The reason I am asking is because I am unsure if the bumper being uncut will allow enough air to reach the intercooler..

I was thinking about copying the style of the bumper in the first pic in the link below..

http://www.gtiroc.com/forums/showthread.php?t=60177

GTiRlover

Thanks Trondelond for the reply. I think they look much better with the bumper like that. Airflow looks as though it will pretty much unaffected too which is a bonus

Trip

I am considering modifying the number plate area and fixing a sheet of aluminium on the horizontal cross member and bend downwards at an angle to direct more flow to the IC and rad. . My IC is around 50% covered. :shock:

Braveheart

Mark, that looks good. I prefer the uncut look.
Have you had any issues with the adhesive number plate on bonnet. I have reduced my plate to meet import regs but was shunded off putting plate on bonnet.

geoff pine

The size you may get a way with but i think you are only allowed to display the eu symbol now. The plates not legal with out the British standard kite mark and the makers name so if dibble wants to be an arse he can still have you . Stick on bonnet ones are not legal in any way.

Last edited:

GTiRlover

Trip- thats definitely covering a lot of the intercooler there! Looks badass tho 8)

MarkTurbo- yeah I agree with them looking better not being cut-out. Is that a Forge front mount you have that requires some of the slats to be shaved back a little?

Although many of us in this thread seem to prefer the uncut look is there any benfit to be gained from cutting and meshing the whole bumper on a road car, temps wise??

Braveheart

On a road car I would think it would make little difference.... certainly not critical. Looks would outweigh small drop in performance.
I have a temp sensor fitted to charged intake and cold air box in an effort to measure changes v performance. Currently running TMIC in an effort to reduce lag and hope that forced TMIC air will not experience heat soak.

MarkTurbo

Not a forge front mount but its pretty similar in size.

Mark, that looks good. I prefer the uncut look.
Have you had any issues with the adhesive number plate on bonnet. I have reduced my plate to meet import regs but was shunded off putting plate on bonnet.
No never had a problem. I always carry the full size plate in the boot anyway so if i do get stopped for it i can just say "sorry officer, i've just done a trackday and must have forgotten to put it back on" and then hope they're feeling generous :lol:

Anyway whats the worse than can happen, £60 fine or whatever it is these days?

GTiRlover

Braveheart- I think I will be keeping it uncut with a little mesh behind to try and protect the intercooler from stone attacks..

MarkTurbo- will see if I can get away with not having to skim anything off the back of the slots with the forge then..