Running 1.8 bar all day long?

DownunderGTiR

What upgrade would i need in order to run 1.8bar of boost all day long as hard as i want without no worry at all in the back of my head?

CruiseGTi-R

You need Halfords to invent a magical treatment that turns gearbox casings into a carbon fibre titanium alloy hybrid.

Fazz

Depends on your current state of modifications...

There's a big list..
OR a smaller one if you've already got 300odd bhp.
Turbo, Injectors, Z32 AFM, ECU, Clutch, Brakes, Exhaust, Boost Controller, Spark plugs, Blaster and Coil kit (to go boost above 1.6bar this seems necessary), Pistons, Head gasket, Possibly Gearbox or 2.. - Quaiffe, fuel pump, a good mapper, cams, front mount intercooler, oil cooler, I could go on...

So a fair wad of cash in fairness... and thats assuming nothing breaks in the meantime...

Why 1.8bar??? you should be more looking for power output and power band.
400bhp can be got at 1.5bar with right set up. Even less if you don't mind lag.

At a recent calculation, I've spent the same amount on mods, as on my R... and i bought it with a good few base mods.... Nice...

Last edited:
O

Odin

The most important thing or all to think about when wanting to tune any engine to run big boost is COOLING, number 1 is the right amount of fuel to keep the pistons cool and also a big enough inter cooler to keep air temps under control with the right ignition timing, And in my case a very big 53mm Koyo rad to keep the water system happy, Plus a 16/19 row front mounted oil cooler to keep the oil temps under control, With out these basic things being right then all the rest is worthless in my opinion.

Just remember COOLING COOLING COOLING and you wont go far wrong.

All the above is just my own personal opinion though, Gained from the experience of my own car over the last few years.

Rob

Last edited by a moderator:

youngsyp

I couldn't agree with Rob more. This is often the area that is overlooked and then the unfortunate ask "why have my pistons got holes in them ?"
"Because your running the OE water cooled oil cooler and the OE 13 + year old radiator !". "Oh, and the same amount of ignition advance that you're supposed to run for 100 + octane fuel, with 1.5 bar of boost !".

It might also be an idea to start praying to the god of gearboxes, so that yours might hold together for more than a week at that boost level ! :)

Fusion Ed

Tuning is almost only about efficiently controlling temperature and pressure and keeping it where its needed < there you go Ed's guide to everything engine haha.

Rob, I have to say I completely agree, for 99% of all engine stuff if it remains within its operating temperature it will not break. That is until forces get very high, that even within operational temperatures things will break.. (conrods/headgaskets) most cases temp wins before hand however.

O

Odin

Micra Ed said:
That is until forces get very high, that even within operational temperatures things will break.. (conrods/headgaskets) most cases temp wins before hand however.
Yes their does come a point when the pistons can no longer handle the cylinder pressures involved as in the case of my engine, After 2/3 years of 1.3-1.5 bar on my bigger gt30 based turbo the ring lands on my standard pistons just gave up the ghost :doh: ;-) .

But I'm 100% sure they wouldn't of lasted anywhere near as long as they did with out all the uprated cooling I had in place.

Rob