Rubber thingy?!!

PulsarTom

Just in front of the injectors at an agle there are four rubber end caps? what are these? as i knocked one last night and cant find it agen?? are they important? Thanks and sorry for the idiots guide!!

P

pulsarboby

yes these are vacuum sealed on your inlet manifold. the car will run very bad unless you put a cap back on there, even a bit of silicone pipe with a screw stuck in the end will do for the time being untill you get the proper cap found.

antgtir

Just out of interest anyone, what would the reason be for these little menaces, why would Nissan design something that needed sealing with a small rubber cap instead of completely sealing as a single unit?

Is there a tuning advantage for these?

Just puzzles me thats all, oh and im bored at work lol.

Ant.

youngsyp

antgtir said:
Just out of interest anyone, what would the reason be for these little menaces, why would Nissan design something that needed sealing with a small rubber cap instead of completely sealing as a single unit?

Is there a tuning advantage for these?

Just puzzles me thats all, oh and im bored at work lol.

Ant.
Aren't they a specific vacuum port that you can use to balance each individual throttle body ?!

P

pulsarboby

nope you can have a bluepeter badge, and a star for fixing your light:-D

youngsyp

pulsarboby said:
nope you can have a bluepeter badge, and a star for fixing your light:-D
Got the HID kit fitted yesterday too and I'm very impressed. I've finally got the headlights I want.
I'll give it a week or too, then post up a review and details of the kit. It's very good value at £109 all in so, I'm sure others will be interested.
And that reminds me, I still have that exhaust manifold, elbow and fooked turbo to drop off to you.
I'm down in your manor on 15th and 16th October so, I should be able to drop them down then.

antgtir

Very interesting, buuuttt lol if they are definite caps i.e. completely air tight, how are you able to balance the vacuum? Are there little ports with adjustable screws in there? how would it make any sort of difference if the caps are always on and are air tight??

Come you lazy gits explain further ;-) :lol:

Ant.

stevepudney

GTiROC CHAIRMAN
Staff member
antgtir said:
Very interesting, buuuttt lol if they are definite caps i.e. completely air tight, how are you able to balance the vacuum? Are there little ports with adjustable screws in there? how would it make any sort of difference if the caps are always on and are air tight??

Come you lazy gits explain further ;-) :lol:

Ant.
Ant, you would use something like this connected to each port to test the vacuum balance at idle, then adjust as necessary by adjusting the throttle butterflies

just to update, the Carbtune thingy in the link above is ideally suited to bikes as the readings on the guages dont' really go high enough for most cars but I have just spoken to the tech at carbtune and it should work on the pulsar due to it's low vacuum reading at idle. The Pulsar throttle bodie adjustment is bound to have gone out of adjustment a little over the years, ummm I might get one as there good value as well.

Last edited:

antgtir

Interesting stuff, i dont know how finely tuned Nissan had the throttle bodies but im sure you could use this tool to a reasonable accuracy level, would be nice to be able to check i must admit.

Ant.

P

pulsarboby

take a tip from me ant, and dont start messing around with those screws unless you suspect a problem! 'if it aint broke then dont fix it' springs to mind.
the car will run like a bucket of pooh and you will chew through petrol at an alarming rate unless you know what you are doing.
you can also balance these by having four vacuum gauges (can be done with one, but is difficult)

youngsyp

pulsarboby said:
take a tip from me ant, and dont start messing around with those screws unless you suspect a problem! 'if it aint broke then dont fix it' springs to mind.
If you're talking about the adjusment screws in the little stumps, on the throttle bodies, mine doesn't even have them to play wit (MY94).

How would Nissan go about adjusting the balance of the TB's, without these screw adjusters ?
You can obviously adjust the throttle linkage but, this will adjust the TB's in pairs wouldn't it ?!

antgtir

I presume you mean that your R is an M reg 94 year? if this is the case then in theory mine wont have these balance screws too.

I wouldn't play around with them id just be interested to see the kind of differences across the board. I suppose if these are screw type adjusters then Mr Nissan will only be able to fine tune them as much as we would (physically that is) however i suppose with his £k's computer he'd be able to tell differences in a nats whisker lol

Paul if there aren't any adjusters in there maybe the throttle body adjuster design changed to an auto type worked from the ECU? or internal mechanical type worked of pressure ratings? just poking in the dark on that one lol.

Ant.

stumo

All the screws do is give you a nice idle**, that's all. **if adjusted correctly

Once the throttle is opened they don't do anything as the amount of air that goes past them in relation to what goes past the butterfly is insignificant.

Braveheart

Here's my tuppence worth....

The main purpose of the 4 small rubber blanking plugs that cover the scews on the throttle body is to keep the dirt out and the screw heads clean. It has been reported though that you can draw a small amount of air between screw and thread so the plug may prevent that as well. I stuck a wee bit of gear oil down each hole to illiminate any dry air gaps between screw and thread then refitted the blanking plugs. The other 4 caps are vacuum blanking devices and only removed when fitting a vacuum gauge to balance the carbs. You would then adjust each screw to get the desired equal vacuum reading on a four way guage. These caps are much more important than the plugs and must be fitted to avoid vacuum draws.

youngsyp

antgtir said:
I presume you mean that your R is an M reg 94 year? if this is the case then in theory mine wont have these balance screws too.

I wouldn't play around with them id just be interested to see the kind of differences across the board. I suppose if these are screw type adjusters then Mr Nissan will only be able to fine tune them as much as we would (physically that is) however i suppose with his £k's computer he'd be able to tell differences in a nats whisker lol

Paul if there aren't any adjusters in there maybe the throttle body adjuster design changed to an auto type worked from the ECU? or internal mechanical type worked of pressure ratings? just poking in the dark on that one lol.

Ant.
That's right mate, mine's an April 94 (L).

As for the electronic control, I wouldn't expect so as, they'd need a solenoid etc.. on each throttle body, to adjust them. Of course, there is ecu idle control as a whole, using the ICV or whatever it's called on the GTiR. Afaik, this lets air in after the throttle bodies though ?!
I'd expect that the TB's are assembled at the factory with a tolerance in mind so, they shouldn't need to be adjusted in their 'life time' ?!