Rounded Nuts!!!!!!

G

GTiRich

So annoying. Tried to fit my rear cusco strut brace today. The first 5 nuts came off no probs with a lil help from WD40. When it came to loosen the final one would it do??? Would it bollox. The little fucker wouldnt come off. I tried everything resortin to using a hammer. Anyway the nuts now rounded off. Any ideas how to get it off??? Cheers,
Rich

mattygti-r

rich out of all them many struts your the only one who couldnt fit it right lol which one you trying to fit? the front? :cry:

I

Innovate Performance

go get you self a nut spliter, try halfords if not machine mart do them the only cost about £5.00.

The other way is the trusty hammer and chisel, or hammer a smaller socket on to the nut and use a f##k off long bar.

Good luck hope one of these ways works for you. :wink:

G

GTiRich

Nah it was the rear. I fitted the front AGES ago lol. I thought i might have to resort to getting a nut splitter :( oh well

Fast Guy

Moderators
Staff member
The nuts shouldn't be that tight, were you turning it the right way? :wink: :p

Get a surface drive or a hex socket (not bi hex which are what round nuts off normally) and try it with that first.

geetee

Burn the witch, burn burn burn :lol:

Always find a bit of judicious blowtorch action helps...... but better before you've completely rounded the nut. :?

Invest in a set of flank drive sockets and spanners.

Your best bet now is the nut splitter if you have room to get it on there.

Cheers
GeeTee 8)

G

GTiRich

I tried the good ol blow torch trick but to no avail. I dunno if i'll get a splitter on there, dunno if it'll fit tho. If it dont i may have to invest in a dremmel lol

Garef

Why not weld a metal pole or bar onto the nut, and then you have a lever to use to turn it. Should come out no bother. If that makes sense? I seen a mate of mine use this technique to get off damaged alloy locking nuts.

Fast Guy

Moderators
Staff member
just file flats onto it and try a spanner, but if it's that tight you've no chance or file 6 flats onto it and use a smaller socket :wink:

There's not alot of room for a bar to rotate, depending on which of the nuts it is,

Tony

get a hacksaw and cut the nut close to the thread on opposite sides and `voila` the nut will come of no problem!!!!

might work even if you just cut 1 side!!!!!

these studs are quite easy to snap mind so dont wanna be too rough!

Tony....

A

Anonymous

Dont try blow torch or welder, just get the right tool to do the job, even if you have to let it sit for a while till you get the time or money to get the job done proper, no use stuffing somethin else trying to get the job done, alway's to the hard s**t first, like the nut most difficult to take off then do the easy bits, nothing more frustrating then 5 mins doing 99% of the job and spending 2 hours with the last bit, and that goes for installing a rear strut bar too :D

Keira

GTiRich said:
Ihave to invest in a dremmel lol
my favourite stubborn nut removing tool, the minute one plays silly buggers out comes the dremmel :twisted:

You could always hammer on a slightly smaller socket or get grips on it

J

jaygtir

drill the f****r out, choose drill bit sensibly, but the drill shound go straight through and cearfully file down to make hole pukka. re-thread and bobs your uncle...................... if you can be bothered!

G

GTiRich

Cheers for the replies, i sorted it though, i borrowed a hex drive nut off my mechanic, sorted it a treat 8) could do with a set but they are about £100 from snap on :shock:

MarkTurbo

GTiRich said:
could do with a set but they are about £100 from snap on :shock:
If they're £100 from snap on that means they'll probably only be about £30 from other companys :wink: :lol: :lol: :lol: