Reving and richness to high!

palmerp

New owner help!.

Hi guys, please excuse my lack of understanding but yesterday bough my first GTI-R and is running very rich and reving at 1200 revs, can this be adjusted manually or would need tuning via rolling road?. Any help would be appreciated and thanks.

Paul.

gtir_pimp

alot of pulsars idle roulghly and can go up and down when cold and hot. its nothing to worry about. is this why you think its running rich? because it doesnt mean its running rich! if youre worried about the fueling the take it to a rolling road or to someone who has a lambda sensor

palmerp

Thanks for the reply, the car ticks over at about 1200revs and i have a lean and rich gauge that says the car is running rich and around the rear tail pipe there is lots of carbon buildup!. Excuse my ignorance.:-D

PobodY

Moderators
Staff member
If it's running rich at idle, check the lambda sensor (because you should be on the closed-loop at idle).
Then maybe the TPS (to check that the ECU doesn't think the throttle is open and throw fuel at it). - Actually that's probably easier so do that first.
Fault code? - Look for the sticky.

After that, it's time to start checking the IAC etc; they often get blocked-up with carbon and stop working.

There is an idle screw on the bottom of the plenum, but if the mixture is wrong it probably won't help to just fiddle with it.

EDIT: Read this thread first.

Last edited:

gtir_pimp

what kind of gauge is it? the kind you get from halfords? some of them dont give a true reading and just light up and look pretty. get it on a dyno to be sure. power runs are £50. the tailpipes always soot up