Respray - Choices?

Smo

Now that I've decided to keep my R I'm going to get all the little rust scabs removed and respray it (including bump strips etc). While I'm at it I'm going to refurb and spray the wheels too. The issue I'm having is what colour to go for.

I do like the regular black but I'm also thinking of Scotia White (W83) as seen on the Evo V/VI GSRs and a carbon bonnet/boot and spoiler.

So I have a couple of questions;

- Has anyone been quoted for a full body respray, and if so - how much was it?
- Same as above, but for a completely stripped spray (everything taken off the car, including engine and all parts underneath.
- Does anyone know where I can purchase new rear arches? I saw a link on here a little while back where they were like £16 each!

Does anyone have any pictures of perhaps alternative colour Pulsars for me to take a look at for inspiration? I have a clean slate here and it can be anything.

darkyGTI-R

I would go for the w83 as it's a bit different from the normal colours and probably quite unique smo,I had a quote from a respray shop in Birmingham for £650 all in but i'm not sure if that includes flatting mate?

gtirjoey

not sure on the colour mate as its your choice no one can decide the best colour for your car other than you 8)
but dont paint the bump strips get them re-textured so they look like new..sets the car off alot better than colour coded bumpstrips.
my car cost me 1500 for full spray fitting new front wings+doors, and cutting any rot out.
this was windows out etc basicaaly everything was done other than the engine bay(which i regret not doing:doh:)

Smo

I would go for the w83 as it's a bit different from the normal colours and probably quite unique smo,I had a quote from a respray shop in Birmingham for £650 all in but i'm not sure if that includes flatting mate?
Yeah I'm thinking I like W83 the more I see it - I've been checking out Evo's on the MLR and I'm certain that's the colour I'm going with. It'll have to be with a carbon bonnet, boot & spoiler though!

not sure on the colour mate as its your choice no one can decide the best colour for your car other than you 8)
but dont paint the bump strips get them re-textured so they look like new..sets the car off alot better than colour coded bumpstrips.
my car cost me 1500 for full spray fitting new front wings+doors, and cutting any rot out.
this was windows out etc basicaaly everything was done other than the engine bay(which i regret not doing:doh:)
I honestly am in two minds about the bump strips - I don't suppose you have any shots of white cars with coded and not? I need a direct comparison as I'm conflicted on the idea! However I'm certain I want the engine bay done too so I presume the cost will be considerably higher!

Also liking the quote of £1500, I can live with that. Did you supply the wings and doors?

gtirjoey

yes mate i did supply the doors and wings
the engine bay is going to cost quite a bit more afterall theres alot of stuff for them to take off, unless you can do it yourself?
sorry all i have is pics of a white car with black bump strips i.e mine lol

Smo

Thanks for that mate - I've just ordered my new arches and 5 litres of W83 Scotia White paint from paints4u.com.

I've decided to seal the car with Epoxy Mastic 121 chassy paint before the overcoat of W83 for added rust protection. I'm also going to get the inner arches painted while they're new.

I am going to get the underside painted in my own time and I'll do it myself in pieces as the car will be coming off the road for some time during the process. I'll miss her but she'll come back spanking!

Smo

Rich's car is very close to what I want to achieve Trip - the only difference between what I'm aiming for and Rich's car is I'm looking into a carbon boot and carbon spoiler to go along with the carbon bonnet. Essentially they will look very similar.

I love the job Rich did on his R and if I could I would do it the same way with mine. Unfortunately funds permitting I can only afford to have a complete external spray with all the rust/dings etc removed. I will do the inner arches/underneath and engine bay myself in my spare time.

pulsar craig

with resprays in general if you want a very good job expect to pay 2k upwards, for an ok job possibley 1k plus, if cost is an issue you could always do the prep work yourself to keep costs down, as for colours i have always fancyed a silver r, never seen one and could look pretty cool

Smo

with resprays in general if you want a very good job expect to pay 2k upwards, for an ok job possibley 1k plus, if cost is an issue you could always do the prep work yourself to keep costs down, as for colours i have always fancyed a silver r, never seen one and could look pretty cool
I've been quoted £1500 by a good mate of mine but I'm supplying the arches and paint. I'll also be supplying new window trims all round. Looks like I'll be getting in touch with Nissan to replace all the window rubbers, door seals etc!

Quite a job.

gtirjoey

them rubbers/ seals aint cheap mate the rubber for rear screen is around 70 quid on its own!:shock:

if your getting a friend to do it proffesional or not let him know your gonna be fussy with the finish and go over it with a fine tooth combe...thats what i told my painter and a year on i still find little bits im not happy with and make him do it for nothing

Last edited:

Smo

them rubbers/ seals aint cheap mate the rubber for rear screen is around 70 quid on its own!:shock:
Doesn't surprise me mate!

Luckily I have a good friend who works at my local Nissan dealership so I can get everything trade price. I bet it'll still come to a fair amount though.