Repostioning the water Radiator!

RO_SUNNY

Hello guys/ gals.

So.......i started the last steps in finishing the R and a problem came up.

The electro fans from the radiator are really close to the compressor housing and the wastegate pipe which I made.

I saw some time ago, on some threads, something about repositioning the radiator.

Please tell me how should I do this and most of all please updated the writings with some relevant photos.

Thanks,
Bogdan

Fast Guy

Moderators
Staff member
Can you put the fans on the other side of the radiator? If you still have the standard fans, something like pacet fans could mount on the otherside if you don't have aircon.

RO_SUNNY

I syill have the standard rad.....but wouldn't it be a problem if they are facing the wind at high speeds???
The fans are blowing to the engine ....if I'll put them on the other side then they will blow against the wind.

Trip

I syill have the standard rad.....but wouldn't it be a problem if they are facing the wind at high speeds???
The fans are blowing to the engine ....if I'll put them on the other side then they will blow against the wind.
There are fans which blow in the other direction.

Trip

@Trip
Please advice!!!!
there are types which blows (push) and others which suck (pull) .. radiator fans that is.

If you are putting one on the front you need a push type, if you need in behind, you need a pull type.

sypher

As said above if you move the original fans in front of the rad' you need to change the polarity of the fan motor so the fan pulls air from outside the car through the rad' .. pull air into the engine bay not pull air out of the engine bay..

williams

use the twin fan setup from foreign saxo vts/106 gtis. i got my setup for £25. fit perfectly in front.

warringtonjack

I'm using a single slimline fan, cos I cant fit one on the turbo side of the rad. I'd recommend getting an alloy/copper rad to help cooling.

dobby

My custom 52mm thick rad is more than enough for the 440 bhp I'm running. It's smaller than standard in width x height but it sill keeps things ice cool. Ken lowe makes amazing fans but they are pricey.

shroom

dobby was the rad designed just to fit were the stock rad was or did you have to change some things? were did you get it and was it "expensive" I will have to look into something simular but was just wondering what my options are :)

dobby

Mine sits where the air con rad sits and it is narrow to let the intercooler pipes run either side. as a one off it was about £290. I dont thinks its that expensive as it is an upgrade you need for high power. I also changed the flow from up/down to left/right so you can run with one fan if you like.

RO_SUNNY

This is what I've ordered.

It is 12'' (300 mm) in diameter with 63mm maximum depth.

Anyway I discovered that my Rad is 35 mm thick (isn't this the size of the UK R????? )so I don't think that there will be any probs.

RO_SUNNY

Yeah..........and you will havce also alot of space between the rad and turbo etc.

It's really nice ......check this out.......the space you''l be gaining is laaaaaaaaargeeeeeeee

In the original setup the wastegate would hit the electrical fans.....now.......