Replacing stock turbo with GT28RS

sunnygtiritalia

I'm gonna replacing my turbo with a brand new GT28RS; my car is completely stock... even the complete cat exhaust line

Do I have to check/modify something? I mean the turbo is different so, also the quantity of air it can flow... the ignition?

PobodY

Moderators
Staff member
You need to put an oil restrictor in if I remember correctly; as it's a ball bearing core it needs a lower oil flow (or it squirts past). - Other than that, I think it's a bolt-on uprgrade and needs no other modifications... I think it flows the same, but spools earlier than the standard (although that might depend on which GT28RS it is).

projectgtir

I think this is the turbo which also requires moving further away from the block as it fouls the engine/gearbox , people either use more exhaust gaskets or a spacer on the manifold or angle grind the block/gearbox where it fouls it . Also the oil return needs to modified or custom made .

Fusion Ed

Maybe varies from supplier, but we have never had to fit a restrictor on any of the turbos I've supplied. GT28RS is not really a big upgrade for the pulsar however.

sunnygtiritalia

I still didn't see it; they told me it's already with the right plugs for GTI-R, with .86 of A/R i think; the stock one is like that, right?

So you could confirm me there's nothing to modify? No spacer, no oil restrictions?

sunnygtiritalia

Maybe varies from supplier, but we have never had to fit a restrictor on any of the turbos I've supplied. GT28RS is not really a big upgrade for the pulsar however.
I've just noticed that you sell GT2871R in your site; how is it compared to GT28RS? I'm not looking for big powers, I've to replace the stock one and the GT28RS looked the most similar... is it good?

Smo

My 28RS was a direct bolt on. The only modification was the inlet needed modifying slightly to avoid fouling the gearbox, that was it.

sunnygtiritalia

It means physically touching the greabox when mounted in the standard position.
now it's clear, thanks! and what about the oil pipe and so on? there no need to reduce the pressure? do you have to modify ignition timing and so on or is it completely plug & play?

and the performance? it spools earlier and keep the pressure at higher rpm compared to stock?

Smo

now it's clear, thanks! and what about the oil pipe and so on? there no need to reduce the pressure? do you have to modify ignition timing and so on or is it completely plug & play?

and the performance? it spools earlier and keep the pressure at higher rpm compared to stock?
I used uprated braided oil and water lines but there was no need for an oil restrictor to be fitted.

You will need a remap, definitely - no turbo upgrade is ever plug and play as fuelling and boost curves are completely different.

Definitely a better turbo - mine made 395bhp and 411ft/lbs at 1.7bar on a 2.2 stroker engine. Fantastic fun to drive!