Replacing fuel filter

Mr C

Had a go at this at the weekend, took out fuel pump fuse, cranked engine over for a good few seconds to depresurise the system, popped the top pipe off the filter and got what was a good flow of fuel out the top of the filter, definately not presurised but had quite a lot come out, it stopped for a few seconds and then proceeded to slowly flow out, so much so that I didn't feel comfortable changing it while it was flowing so popped the pipe back on and left it.

I've done fuel filters on a 200sx before and sure you get a bit of residual fuel come out but it stops pretty quickly.

I guess I'm really asking if this is normal for a Pulsar or is there part of the procedure I've missed?

PobodY

Moderators
Staff member
Mine doesn't keep flowing when I disconnect it, but they I'm not too fussed it that first bit of petrol gets spilt... I just wait for it to evaporate before I do something silly like try to start the car.

Did you run it until it stalled? - It sounds like it's siphoning; you don't have the filter lower than the tank for some reason do you?

Mr C

Actually pulled the fuel pump fuse out while it was idling as the english translation seemed to be mislabelled, 2nd (15amp) fuse up from the bottom on the right bank, translation said 3rd (10amp). Turned it over for a good 20 to 30 seconds after it died.

I expect a bit of fuel to escape but this was a worrying amount.

Filter is in the standard position and although I was on an decline towards the front I wouldn't have thought it would have been enough to cause it, it's the same place I did the 200sx ones.

Perhaps I'll try again but park the other way round just to be sure.

Cheers.

Fast Guy

Moderators
Staff member
Just have plenty of kitchen roll or similar to soak up any spilt fuel. I don't bother depressurising my system, but normally do it quite a while after it's been turned off and I don't lose much. The quicker you do it the less you'll lose too. If it comes out, don't just stand there watching it, swap it over quickly.