replacing both belts on my Pulsar

D

Diesel Fumes

I have power steering and AC. Not sure which belts drive which accessory, but they are freaking hard to get access to. Any tricks to this? One of my belts is making a horrible squeeling sound at low RPM. I believe it to be the power steering belt and I may need to just tighten it up. But like I said, its so cramped in there, I dont know which is which. Let alone how I am going to get a pry bar in there to tension it up.

Any help appreciated :thumbsup:

Fast Guy

Moderators
Staff member
Diesel Fumes said:
Let alone how I am going to get a pry bar in there to tension it up.
:shock:

Have you even looked under the bonnet?

There's tensioners on the power steering and alternator to tension both belts. You'll need to loosen both off to allow them to pivot before you tension them.

PaulB

Yeah, have a look at them, the have a bolt securing the pivot, then you just attach a 10mm (i think) on a ratchet, and tighten em up. Once tight, just nip up the securing bolt, pretty simple really.

D

Diesel Fumes

its very easy, but I can't seem to get the narrow belt on the pully currectly. Im talking about the pulley that both belts is on. I can get the small belt up in there, but it wont go on straight. Belt appears to be right size too.

Could I just remove that belt and have no PS/AC?

D

Diesel Fumes

I see the problem now. I assume it is a two piece pulley. THe pulley in question is the one that can be exposed by takin goff the guard behind the driver's side tire. I can move the big pulley in and out without the other pulley moving along with it. As a result, the big belt is rubbing up against the smaller belt. This causes the small belt to not ride straight on the pulley wheel.

Im assuming I either need a new pulley or perhaps they could just be tack welded to keep them from moving.

P

pulsarboby

dont know what your on about really! its a very simple job, the crankshaft pulley (big double one at the bottom) is fixed and theres no need to move it, unless the rubber damper has split away from the inner part! then you will require a new crankshaft pulley.

im not being funny with you, but if your having trouble changing the belts, then dont do the job.
take the car into a garage and let them do it for you, its 10 minute job to change both of them, your obviously not mechanically minded and could end up buggering something up therefore making it a big job out of it! best leave well alone.

just read your post again and yes it does sound like your c/s pulley has split apart! there £350 from nissans:shock: pm me if you want a good secondhand one

Last edited by a moderator: