removing engine without a crane

P

pulsarboby

took the engine out my car again today ready for another rebuild after the immense 600 miles it had covered since last rebuild:doh:

just thought i would post up a couple of photos to show you's who dont know, that its far easier to remove these engines without the need for a crane (even though i have one) they just get in the way.

will be stripping it all down next week to accertain the damage done to no 3 cylinder!
hopefully the bores not fooked, or il have to use another block, as mines bored to the max.
ive got 2 weeks to get all the parts and rebuild it with the quaiffe added....and have it up and running again, before i take a trip to kind young jims to let him have a go at mapping it for me 'bless him':lol:

then hopefully this time it will be ready for some serious track attack action, once ive fitted my cage and fuel swirlpot.
have my first test day booked at lydden hill in less than a month so i best get things moving lol

anyway hope these photos help a few of you's out who are thinking of removing your engines etc, it really is much easier than using a crane;-)

boucherie

bobby, did you get my email with the pics of the bottom end, to my knowledge the crank should be fine
cheers
ian

steve963

i thought the crane was easy and didnt get in the way
just put boards in between and resting on the crane legs and drop the engine onto them
jack the car up using some boards or fence post on the front chassis rails and wheel out lump on the crane, you then get the bonus of the being able to re-attach the crane chains to stop the engine toppling

easy

P

pulsarboby

azboy said:
can i ask why u r rebuilding the engine again after 600 miles is it ti add uprated rods ect

nope! too correct a severe case of borewash which has mullered no 3 cylinder and possibly the other 3 too.
all will become apparent when heads removed and cylinders etc are inspected!

just shows what can happen to forge internals when certain things arent done correctly;-)

btw cheers fazz your a star:thumbsup:

J

jpward

I did it slightly different in that i used pully blocks to hold, raise and then lower engine onto trolly (jack idea seamed to unstable didnt want to damage anything) then used rope tied between two engine mount points and with pullies raised car until head was clear of bottom crossmember, and rolled out.

MORF114

same as me except i used a tripod with block and tackle much better than with engine crane used crane to put mine back in wish i used the tripod with tackle.

J

jpward

MORF114 said:
same as me except i used a tripod with block and tackle much better than with engine crane used crane to put mine back in wish i used the tripod with tackle.
I thought you would have been short on height with a tripod? :?

P

pulsarboby

a tripod would be fine, block n tackle even better!

but this thread was really just to show those people that havent got access to a hoist, that it can be done easily with 2 trolley jacks and a lump of wood.

i actually find it quicker and easier that way, as theres no ropes or chains involved, simply drop it down and pull it out. and putting it back is just the reverse.
but if you have a crane then obviously you have a choice in what you can use to remove your lump!