Removal of Steering Wheel

H980 Pulsarkid

Very simple one guys and gals and yes I am probably being unbelievably dumb ......however, I couldnt see very well the other evening so I thought Id post up here quickly.

Is there anything obvious Im missing when removing the standard steering wheel - car is sat in a dark garage, when I came to whoop the steering wheel off I removed the large central nut and the the 3 screws either side of the plate, is there anything else that holds it in place or am I being weedy ?
:roll:

Cheers

Jon

S

Ste-v-i-r

Take large adjusting spanner (sometimes called a hammer) and 'persuade' the wheel away from afore mentioned 'japcrap'!!
Seriously tho, the splines on the column tend to bind with those within the steering wheel centre and can be a bit of a pain. Like most seized threads or metal to metal joints, u just need to break the 'seal'.
Light bash with rubber mallet got mine off.

Steve.

H980 Pulsarkid

I did think that might be the case - I was half expecting the steering wheel to fly off with me pulling it with both hands in a comical way hitting me square in the nose and leaving a big old imprint on my forhead. :lol:

A bit of gentle persuasion it is then.

:twisted:

C

chrislloydus

undo the centre nut until its at the end of the threads but leave it on, so it gives the wheel about 1cm to move. Then when the steering wheel loosens it wont hit you in the gob :D
I find that pulling the left then right sides over and over releases it quickly - never used a hammer !

BTW make sure you note the angle the wheel is at when you take it off so that it goes back on straight !