Relocating the maf into the fmic?

Sunny-D

Advantages are smoother running and slightly better fuel economy, i think the only disadvantage is the filament in the maf getting covered in oil residue. Google "blow through maf".

Fusion Ed

Response is improved mpg should be the same.. The MAFs don't like running under boost, thats the only downside really. However, I have done a few of these now and they do seem to work very well when they hold in one piece.

P

pulsarboby

if its a z32 then youll need to strenghen the thin plastic part at the top, i used a bit of carbon fibre sheet and glued it with epoxy resin then tie clipped it, that held 1.7 bar but dont know how much more it would take tbh.

the other advantage is if you blow a boost hose from any of the ic pipes on intake side then you will still be able to drive the car rather than it chugging to an abrupt halt lol

Fusion Ed

I have found that generally no, they seem to work ok. I would ALWAYS have it checked however.

Oh one thing I forgot to mention it really really improves idle stability, especially where the maf was otherwise too close to the turbo. I have had many problems where the turbo creates unstable air after going to idle from being on boost (i.e. at junctions). This I usually cure for customers with a double elbow pipe kit, however putting the MAF by the plenum totally cured this problem.

If I get bored I may pull apart a 'fake' z32 maf I have and see if I can weld up an alloy tube/cover to put on it. :)

Ed

Fusion Ed

I haven't seen many, but going by the one I had here, it looked totally identical but caused REALLY big issues on the car it was on. Took me ages to find what was wrong as well since everything appeared to work fine. Only when I data logged engine load against anticipated load changes and drew graphs to compare did I start to see what was going on.

Changed to a 'real' Z32 and instantly all problems were gone. Obviously this was from a sample of one, so I don't know if any others would behave properly or not, quite frankly I wouldn't risk it.

Fusion Ed

Just make sure you DONT get any pipes blowing off. If you have a roller bearing turbo that's all you need to potentially totally destroy it.